Cleaning Bilge

bout time

I have a trophy 2352 with a 5.7 V8. At one point there was an oil leak and now the bilge is thick grease. I cannot reach the bottom of the bilge to scrub it and the boat sits on a trailer currently. I have ready many posts about bilge cleaner, dishwashing liquid, simple green, etc.

Wondering what my best options are and what everyone else uses?

'Bout Time

Mike

Edited by bout time

Along the same line of thought... I was out Sunday and I couldn't get any water to come out when I turned on the bilge pump ( the bilge is usually dry when I pull the plug anyway, so I wasn't concerned). Yesterday, I found that my bilge opening was clogged. I cleaned out the debris as best I could due to almost a 90* angle in the pipe under the gunnel. I fed some flexible wire about a foot long so into the opening and felt no further obstructions. You can hear the pump running when the switch is flipped.   Is there a better way of checking out if it is working properly other than pumping some water into the drain plug hole and turning on the pump to see if its operational?

2 hours ago, bout time said:

I have a trophy 2352 with a 5.7 V8. At one point there was an oil leak and now the bilge is thick grease. I cannot reach the bottom of the bilge to scrub it and the boat sits on a trailer currently. I have ready many posts about bilge cleaner, dishwashing liquid, simple green, etc.

Wondering what my best options are and what everyone else uses?

'Bout Time

Mike

Pressure washer!! I had thick sludge last year when i got the new to me boat and now you could eat off it it's so clean.

Yep I used dawn dish liquid bought a small bristled brush it was short in length but had stiff bristles, like maybe a concrete, or driveway tar brush had a regular length handle just kept cutting it off to suite the situation. But that worked, I tried my pressure washer I was make more of a mess than good, so I went back to the old scrub brush.

I sprayed some Walmart engine foaming  degreaser down there, let it sit, sprayed it out , did it again. Then some laundry detergent sprayed it & it is clean. Hard not to spill some oil when changing the filter. 

I bought stuff from Barrett. Think the name was actually called bilge cleaner. All you gotta do is pour some in the bottom, fill with enough water to slosh around some. Take her for a spin to shake it up in the bottom. Go home, empty in a bucket or drain. Stuff lifts the oil without any hand scrubbing, pressure washing(causes excessive moisture in the boat), or corrosion on the motor if I/o.

Don't empty at the dock. Oil is still in the bilge water.

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app