Porcupine problem

ERABBIT

Porcupine problem

These guys just keep coming , I have disposed of 7 in the last year and a half. They come in to chew/eat the plywood for salt on the siding off the back porch. I put a salt block along the hedgerow but the didn't seem to like that as much as the siding.

Any ideas how to stop them without putting them down?

Thanks 

Live trap them and take them for a ride in your boat on Seneca Ed......that 638 ft spot would be a nice drop off point:lol:

I would also get rid of the salt block as you may be attracting them to your property, then they start eating other things. Then would trap/dispose of them, most wildlife that is damaging your property or person you are allowed to dispatch. Predator urine might work also, but would have to reapply after rains.

I could recommend a few guys with their dogs but they might want you to pay the vet bill. A few of them cannot get their dogs to stop going after porcupines.

hate these bastards they eat all my beautiful pine trees on my Almond property.  Got one with the crossbow in a tree last Nov. it was sweet!! I'll post the pic when i find it what a thrill watching this monster tumble 30feet after the rage chopped him.

Just keep shooting Ed i have definetly seen a reduction since the 4 i killed last 2 years. I hate these things.

Edited by trouthunter9

Vet bills are rising faster than the cost of 22 shells.  One of the few animals I have low low tolerance for.  My Mom's boyfriend gives us a hard time everytime we shoot one because he says it is the only animal you can kill with a stick if you are stranded in the wilderness.  I like to say that if I get stranded in the southern tier outback I got bigger problems than finding something to eat.

On 4/11/2017 at 8:17 AM, Gill-T said:

You could see if DEC will locate some Fishers on property. That would mean less  Turkeys thou. 

Fisher are in the area , don't need the DEC this type of stuff they are no help on .

Thanks anyway

22 hours ago, Smoke-N-Finn said:

So you want to keep them alive, they are nothing more than a large tree eating rodent. Kill em all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Didn't say I wanted to keep them alive. I have already made 7 of them dead. I don't want them eat the siding looking for another way to stop the damage......

21 hours ago, jk1 said:

Frying pan, they are good to eat.......jk   no not good but great.....jk

I'll take your wood for it. PM me your phone# I'll call you when I put the next one down then I will not have to bury it........:P

20 hours ago, dukhnter8 said:

I would also get rid of the salt block as you may be attracting them to your property, then they start eating other things. Then would trap/dispose of them, most wildlife that is damaging your property or person you are allowed to dispatch. Predator urine might work also, but would have to reapply after rains.

I could recommend a few guys with their dogs but they might want you to pay the vet bill. A few of them cannot get their dogs to stop going after porcupines.

Never put loose salt back out after it didn't work first time I had it on top of a piece of plywood. Thinking about putting plastic lattice over top of the plywood.....  

11 hours ago, trouthunter9 said:

hate these bastards they eat all my beautiful pine trees on my Almond property.  Got one with the crossbow in a tree last Nov. it was sweet!! I'll post the pic when i find it what a thrill watching this monster tumble 30feet after the rage chopped him.

Just keep shooting Ed i have definetly seen a reduction since the 4 i killed last 2 years. I hate these things.

Thanks  , mine are getting bigger , just keep on keeping on with them I guess but looking like crap where they have ate away at siding......I fix that after boat season .....LOL

56 minutes ago, BSmaster said:

Vet bills are rising faster than the cost of 22 shells.  One of the few animals I have low low tolerance for.  My Mom's boyfriend gives us a hard time everytime we shoot one because he says it is the only animal you can kill with a stick if you are stranded in the wilderness.  I like to say that if I get stranded in the southern tier outback I got bigger problems than finding something to eat.

:yes: