Porcupine problem

ERABBIT

Keep shooting them all! Had a problem behind my house got the dogs twice,took a ride on the wheeler just before dark shot nine in one night,have seen many since?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Agree with some of the others, one of the two animals we had a kill on site order since I was a kid (the other was coyotes).  Yes, you can kill them with a stick - have done it - a nice 2 inch stick and a sharp whack by the nose.  Supposedly you can also eat them without cooking - saw one skinned, the meat was literally crawling with worms - would not consider that.

We did reduce them with the loose salt far away from the camp ~ 50 yards, piled in an upside down hubcap in case it rained.  Only true way is to hunt or trap them.  Had a friend that wouldn't let us shoot them around the camp as he claimed they were good for the environment.  One year they started on his camp and he went after them, trapped 22 within 100 yards of camp within a year.  We just take our 22s for a walk a couple of times a year, does pretty well but will still get a couple in the middle of the night when they are chewing on the pressure treated steps.  Relatives have had wiring harnesses on cars and tractors chewed up and one brake line.  We now check all cars every morning prior to heading out for a drive and its a pain.

Now is a good time to take the walk, before the leaves are full out, you can identify den areas for future walks.

Good luck!

Too late for this year, but in the late winter when the days are warm and the snow is thin, go for a walk all around your house, any woods within a half mile, they leave tracks when they go tree to tree, they also leave branch clippings on the snow under the tree they are feeding on,mostly from hemlock. It is good exercise and they are out in the sun on warm days, easy to spot.

We had a family living under a shed years ago on the Almond property. They wouldn't  stir until we were gone for the week after hunting the weekends . They stripped that shed down and all our plywood it was unreal the damage . 

All the pine trees in yhe area have some kind of bark condition some went brown after too much feeding . I had a family of 5 on trail cam last fall man they just cycle back but ya gotta keep after them it helps killing a few adults.