Review of my winter boat cover

On the Hook

Review of my winter boat cover

The last thing anyone is thinking about is storing their boat for the winter, but here is my review of the winter cover I used this year. This year I decided to try something different than shrink wrapping my boat for the winter. Because of where I store my boat now, I would have had to have use a mobile shrink wrapping service and they are scarce in my area. I am posting this review because I did not find a lot of information online about some other alternatives to shrink wrapping except to build a frame out of wood or pvc pipe and use a tarp. I used ¾ inch electrical conduit pipes to build the frame and connected them together using Kover Klamps. I had to custom bend a lot of the pipes, so that was probable the worst part. Since I did not have any rails on my boat, I had to anchor the frame to my Traxtech rails and a couple of spots to the floor on my bow deck. Then I wrapped all the conduit in pool noodles and pipe foam. I bought a heavy duty vinyl tarp, lacing the tarp under the boat and also secured the tarp to the trailer frame with nylon rope.  In Binghamton, we had 135 inches of snow this winter as well as a number of days with high wind. One storm this past March, we had 3 feet of snow and I did not have any snow on the cover the day after. The frame and tarp worked very well as I did not have any water or mold in the boat. I spent about as much on materials as I would have for getting my boat shrink wrapped. The frame and Kover Klamps are now reusable each year and I should get another winter out of the tarp, so I should see some savings over the next couple of years. For my 18’ boat, I ordered a 20x30 tarp and the length was a little too long so I had to make a wrap around the front. Next time I will order a smaller tarp. Obviously shrink wrapping is the best option, but possibly this post may help someone build a better winter cover system. 

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic 5.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic10.jpg

I have an 18 ft boat too. I used a 15 ft 2x4 and some regular 2x4s and saw horse brackets to build a big saw horse that is about as tall as your frame. The front legs are shorter for the raised bow platform. I used 1 1/2 " x 12" stock for ribs and trimmed them with about a 45 degree angle and attached them with one drywall screw to the top edge of the top 2x4. I trimmed each set (R&L) at the bottom also with an angle and so they sat right on the edge of the gunwale and numbered them 1R, 1L and so on. I tied the tarp mostly to the trailer and some places on the transom using nylon rope about 3/16 thick. I used old folded up towels on the corners of the 2x4 and windshield. Spraying silicone waterproofing helps to make the snow slide off the tarp. I found out this year that the cheapest tarp is only good for one season. The material tore around the grommets a little so they are now weakened.

I just did an a frame on each end with a long 2x6 ridge across the entire length. Wrapped the tarp over the framing and tied the grommets together underneath. Worked perfectly. Snow slid off and kept the boat dry and mold free. Plus I had access through the back of the enclosure all year. Took a couple dozen screws out at the beginning of the year and the wood back into the lumber pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hey Muskie I learned with my wallet so after a few rounds of buying tarps, I bought those round assorted length bungee cords and they work great it allows the tarp to give some in the wind, I've had this same cover going on 3 years, I used the black heavy cords there just a tad to strong or I made them to tight. Either way I get 2 seasons out of these cords because I use them all year long. When I leave the camp I do the same procedure. I might not get back up for a month. I bought these cords at harbor freight fir a few bucks. I built a like a stand and posts to the floor to hold the weight off the windshield. I used, 12' 2x6's and ripped down the middle with a circular saw and screwed the 2x3's now to the stand that's higher than the windshield  and the other end I just layed on the transom. With the angle and that spray all the snow slid off. Oh I put that pipe foam over the ends at the top so the boards wouldn't poke holes in the tarps and around the tree rod holders I leave on.image.thumb.jpg.f7aabda0e8b0dc2a06953dad33927d9c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.717945cac87dc093c4960c7a1f467c54.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.f3d0857452f1e6a1ca8f01b99baf9808.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d44868924ba84103635ae0e9dc3846bc.jpg