Shallow spoons

I'm looking for what guys feel is best to run spoons off boards in the first ten feet or so of the column. Without sinking line. I've been told split shot but was also told they will twist. Also looking for hook recommendations for running meat for landlocks, more so on smaller lakes. I've been using octopus but have had a few come off. Thanks for any information. I'm a new to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, J-Lopez said:

I was thinking of kit of them. Basically OR release connect to sinker right.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10-4. I have a kit and they work well in the right situations.  But I don't know if they make anything small enough to replace a split shot, everything in the kit is heavier.

26 minutes ago, Fishnatzee said:

keel sinkers with bead chain swivels and snaps, keeps your rigs straight and tangle free. I also run bead chain swivels in front of my flouro leader, these work great to eliminate line twist.

X2 also Cabela's sells down to 1/4 oz to use on the OR snaps I added the 3/8 oz weights to my Laurvick releases to get them to slide down the line. Worked good.

For spoons I prefer weighted line, but keel sinkers are my next choice. Next after that is snap weights. At times I'll have all 3 methods in play to see what presentation is working better on that particular day.

I really like to run a keel sinker in front of my J-plugs just to keep them from wandering into other lines on turns. Keel sinkers also make a nice stopper to keep your in-line boards from smacking into the fish if you set them to release (which I like to do with my higher outside boards).

• 2 months later...