Boat

Fishon123

Hey Frank your not alone, I have a very simular story, less the starter, I winterize my own boats for ever, well I don't run a thermostat so no worries there. Went to tractor supply and bought 5 gallons just to make sure I got all the water out. My usuall plan of attac is fire her up run it till I get 130 degrees with my laser temp tool, then I use a bildge pump put it in a 5 gallon pail my daughter hits the key I hook up the pump, soon pink is flowing out the exhaust so I add another gallon just for sake of mind, right before my bucket is empty, I give my daughter the shutter down sign. Ahh now we're good till spring. So I needed a tool I knew I had left in the boat, so shyts and giggles I took a look under the engine cover, to my surprise I see a pink stalactite hanging out the block, so I looked closer I'll be dipped in shyt there's a crack in my block between #3-5cyl I just built this motor, my heart fell out my sock, to be honest I sat in the Capt. Chair and cried like a baby, so I took the hose of and yup it's froze bone hard. The next day I towed the boat over to my father-in-laws big garage, he's got it heated. So pulled the motor had the heads pressurized and the manifolds, all checked out other than the block, so I had another block but it was standard bore mine is punched .30 over, so I decided to punch this other block .30 over, so all my goodies went into the new to this boats motor. Then back in we timed it and set dwell . Then I unhooked the power steering and lower water pump hose and drained block, and blew the rest of the water out. I did tests on the RV antifreeze the pink is good to 50below. But it slushed at 28 and at O Degree it freezes bone hard, but according to peak it does not keep the fluid in the block a liquid state, they claim it doesn't have the expanding properties as water. If you read the label it says for boats marine, but not to be used in the motor at all, I told the rep I wasn't using it for a cooling type of antifreeze, he told me to read where it says not to be put in the motor period!! So I got a lawyer freind of my wife's he said I don't have a leg to stand on!! I nearly puked:headbang: so I'm not going that way anymore. On the side the starter is on its impossible to reach that block drain, so I'm puttin a fitting in the block that a hose can be attached with a hose clamp and a shut off in the end of the hose I now can reach, and I'm going back to the old school ways, and I'll blow the rest of the water out then I know it won't freeze and bust. Good luck Frank, I feel your pain, hopfully splash down this comming week, towards the end of the week.

A  5.0 Volvo is a GM block with some Volvo specific add on's. I would think you could get a remanufactured 5.0 GM short block and put all the Volvo parts from your old engine on that block. Your not going to need heads/manifolds etc.  I bet you you could pick one up for around 1500, from a machine shop. Don't think you even need bronze freeze plugs seeing that your using it in freshwater. That's what I would do, at least you would have a engine with new pistons , rings and crank which should translate to 3,000 hours of use. Heads are easy to get rebuilt and you don't have to pull the engine for that.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Probably could upgrade it to a 5.7 ,[after doing a little googling] ,to make sure the heads ,exhaust/intake manifolds and fuel system are the same . If they are all you would probably have to do is change your prop to a higher pitch. 5.7 is a stronger plant with a great rep.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Yes that was my first thought, I would get the heads reworked if she's got some time on her, & oil pump get FelPro gasket set for main motor, 

BTW something doesn't sound right. If you pulled the correct plugs water should of drained out of the block, unless there was some crap that stopped the water from draining. The manifold plugs would not have any bearing on the block cracking. The plugs on the block are just above the oil pan mid section and water should of drained out when you pulled them. Did you take the boat for a test ride before purchasing it ?

Best of luck with your situation Frank.....you sure have the sympathy of the rest of us. Most of us boaters have been through stuff and it is never fun being surprised by stuff like that let alone the financial end of it. Lets hope thisends up being a "blessing in disguise" :)

To bad Frank you can't find a block, it doesn't need to be a 4bolt main either, that's only if your going to turn the old girl 6,7-8 thousand rpms. I thought I had a gold mine of a block so I went through Mercruisers motors and a lot were 2 bolt mains, if your a fisherman like me I turn my 350 3200-3800 at most cruising. So don't let them sell that bag of bull, get your heads reworked and all your internal parts are good, pistons, crank rods, really you need a 150$$$ block. I used up the spare I have but I know a guy that has a block for sale, for $150. Do you know anyone that could put the motor together for you.?? That would save you a lot!! Just an idea. :yes:

Just sucks you have to spend several thousand when I know what it litterly cost. A block a few hundred a short block closer to if not 2 grand and a $100. Bucks an hr. To bolt your own goodies back in place, but I guess that's what keeps the world going round??

5 hours ago, pap said:

Just sucks you have to spend several thousand when I know what it litterly cost. A block a few hundred a short block closer to if not 2 grand and a $100. Bucks an hr. To bolt your own goodies back in place, but I guess that's what keeps the world going round??

SO true and I am teaching my son to grab a wrench and fix things like this by himself. A manual/google/ forums like this and a little patience has that motor in and out for next to nothing. Its not rocket science when all your doing is unbolting parts off one block and slapping them on the other one that's sitting right next to it. The best thing is self feeling gratified when you hit that key for the first time. I suppose if you have deep pockets then paying the man is a lot easier. I am with PAP on this one fore sure.

46 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

SO true and I am teaching my son to grab a wrench and fix things like this by himself. A manual/google/ forums like this and a little patience has that motor in and out for next to nothing. Its not rocket science when all your doing is unbolting parts off one block and slapping them on the other one that's sitting right next to it. The best thing is self feeling gratified when you hit that key for the first time. I suppose if you have deep pockets then paying the man is a lot easier. I am with PAP on this one fore sure.

Bob I don't have 4-5 grand laying around, I've had grease under my finger nails since I was a kid. Had a starter & alternator shop for 22 years before I fell off a ladder and snapped my spine off in the opposite direction we bend in I fell 2 stories on top of a outside air conditioning unit, 5 years till I got back on my feet and my wife held the fort down for 3 years before I got my disability, and then they declared me disabled from January of last year, I didn't get no big back pay check, I was fit to be tied, and I had to go before a judge to receive my disability. After all was said and done the judge asked if I had any last words, yes your honor I do!! I guess I'm from the wrong country to receive all the bennies, the green card folks in this country get, that my 15-18 hrs a day sweaty ass pays taxes for right??? No comment sir. I guess not!!, so now I have to do what I have to do to enjoy my favorite sport, pass time, that's my family, my daughters play fast pitch softball and of course fishing!!!

It is time to give Hank a call. L&M is known for doing magic to broken blocks. He has fixed more than just a few.

You can send him a PM. His handle is "L&M".

Edited by rolmops

I had a 140 inline motor, that I bought knowing it was cracked, we used marine weld on the block that boat and motor is still going today. I didn't want to say that on the count of the repercussions that might have come flying in my direction. There's no pressure in a regular system, I don't know much about the closed systems, so I wouldn't know why it wouldn't work, if the cylinder check out and the heads hold pressure??

^^^^ Right on !!!!  His system is open if it clogged up with Hudson sludge. So as you said, no pressure ,just water running through it. If it was closed the radiator caps are usually 7 lbs. Which isn't a lot. Worth a try in my book, cant hurt anything if you keep your eye on the temp. gauge for awhile after the job was done.. Dremel out the crack a bit and I bet it holds as long as yours did.  It would  buy him some time to build up the funds needed for a block [ if in the future he wanted to go that route ] and be able to keep the smaller boat at the same time. A no brainer in my book, just  google it and I bet you get a bunch of did its and no problems. I did that on a chevy transfer case to save 1800.00 and its still holding up from a year ago.. Best reply yet !  wish I would of remembered that fix first,haha.