King Slammin Shakedown 4-14

Late start for me this year, work got busy fast. Launched at Wilson around 7 am. We cruised around all the debris in the harbor, and especially out front, and settled in at 55'. The plan was to target lakers with a king spread, just to be prepared. We had our first fish on a green dot spinny/ fly within 20 minutes. Then a lot of dead water. Marked very little fish and no bait. Decided to run to the bar and take a peak. Water was 2 degrees colder on the surface but much better color. We trolled back toward Wilson for a few miles and had a steady pick of lakers with a few flurries to keep us entertained. Kept our three man limit for the garden and called it a day around noon. The boat ran strong round trip and caught some bonus fish. Good shakedown in my book. I did hear of two kings caught today in US waters as well. Bring it on!!!IMG_1492198162.065799.jpgIMG_1492198171.635722.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

4 minutes ago, King Slammin said:

Late start for me this year, work got busy fast. Launched at Wilson around 7 am. We cruised around all the debris in the harbor, and especially out front, and settled in at 55'. The plan was to target lakers with a king spread, just to be prepared. We had our first fish on a green dot spinny/ fly within 20 minutes. Then a lot of dead water. Marked very little fish and no bait. Decided to run to the bar and take a peak. Water was 2 degrees colder on the surface but much better color. We trolled back toward Wilson for a few miles and had a steady pick of lakers with a few flurries to keep us entertained. Kept our three man limit for the garden and called it a day around noon. The boat ran strong round trip and caught some bonus fish. Good shakedown in my book. I did hear of two kings caught today in US waters as well. Bring it on!!!IMG_1492198162.065799.jpgIMG_1492198171.635722.jpg

what does it mean to keep a three man limit for the garden?

Thanks,

Chris

Despite the fishing handbook stating in bold lettering DO NOT EAT LAKE TROUT of size on Lake Ontario, I would not broadcast that you broadcast your Lakers (wanton waste laws).  We got a polish grand slam today with browns, a coho, a smallmouth, and a seagull. Tough bite today. I think that big rain event last week flushed all the poop out of the storm sewers in one big push making the stained water oxygen poor..... the bite is off right now.  

How can the wanton waste law apply? I catch a lake trout that lets say is bleeding out the gill- I can throw it back and let it die, I can take it home but not eat it according to DEC or I can actually use it for something like fertilizer. Seems to me the first 2 things are wanton waste but not the third.

Wanton waste is charter captains loading naive clients up with the nasty things, then they get home with them and call people like me and ask how to cook them cuz I fish out there. I bet the number of lakers thrown out from this practice is staggering!! I'm not trying to stir up trouble with anyone's profession as I'm sure some will take offense-just calling it as I see it. Fishing is about the hunt and the fight not about how full your cooler is at the end of the day. OK charters-I'm ready for the attacks

My roses have never looked better. I appreciate my tax dollars going towards a worthy cause. The feds are out to destroy  your fishery it has not sunk in yet. 

Kisutch

Hey Trump Build That Wall

Lake Michigan Lake Trout Gillnetters Association Join now

I speak from first hand knowledge

i don't voice my opinion about much, but my daughters would love to hold a fish of that cal. I would think the same people would bash others if someone did a plant & release if those fish were kings??:tmi:

My Mom used to pay us 5 cents a fish to bring home "garbage" fish from the Cohocton River for her garden. One year we got paid twice: she decided to make a fish soup for the flowers in a 55 gallon drum. Once that thing had fermented you couldn't stand to be within a mile when she opened it. We charged her twenty bucks to haul it away :)

I have a tough time finding fault with somebody who uses his catch in a responsible way. If he'd said that the leavings after having cleaned the fish went into the garden, nobody would raise an eyebrow. Maybe I wouldn't use trout for this purpose myself, but via Pap's comment above: what if they were zombie kings in the stream after spawning? It's a matter of context. IMHO.

Seems as though there are a lot of "value judgments" going on here. It is akin to the issue of catch and release. These fish are described as a "resource" in various contexts. Resources can be used in many ways some popular and some no so popular but whether a person chooses to eat a fish or use it for another purpose (say feeding salmon to your dog team in preparation for the Iditerod) it should be up to that person  .   As long as a fish is harvested legally and  not over harvested or disposed of improperly it should be up to the person catching it what they choose to do with it. I'm sure many folks would have a BIG problem if for examplethe government were to tell you what to do with the fish and it is no different. By the way many commercial fertilizers for plants and flowers contain fish components

Edited by Sk8man

On 4/15/2017 at 9:00 AM, Sk8man said:
Seems as though there are a lot of "value judgments" going on here. It is akin to the issue of catch and release. These fish are described as a "resource" in various contexts. Resources can be used in many ways some popular and some no so popular but whether a person chooses to eat a fish or use it for another purpose (say feeding salmon to your dog team in preparation for the Iditerod) it should be up to that person  .   As long as a fish is harvested legally and  not over harvested or disposed of improperly it should be up to the person catching it what they choose to do with it. I'm sure many folks would have a BIG problem if for examplethe government were to tell you what to do with the fish and it is no different. By the way many commercial fertilizers for plants and flowers contain fish components

Nice job Les , i had diffent words i would of used to the guy yelling d*** move , but this works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can think of 1000 better ways to fertilize my garden. Why kill those fish unless you plan on eating them......dick move!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pay attention to the current state of our fishery and you would have a totally different opinion. I have lived here my entire life and pay tax dollars on my property, licenses, and tackle that find their way into the fishery. I catch and release numerous steelhead, Browns, and kings every year. The lakers are severely overpopulated with an established natural reproduction and federal stocking. I will continue to keep my boats limit and encourage more to do the same in hopes of restoring balance in the predator/ prey population. I usually release a fair amount of kings in the spring as well but plan on keeping my limit, again hoping to achieve balance.

For the same reason we kill coyotes. Population control. There's way too many and they eat the alewives and emerald shiners that our salmon and perch live on

I would agree if the lakers were eating other game fish. It has about the same effect as throwing pickerel on the ice.

Some people actually enjoy catching them.

Do what you what with them, it is your right to throw out a resource.

I would agree if the lakers were eating other game fish. It has about the same effect as throwing pickerel on the ice.

No waste here. I consume healthy tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, Brussel sprouts, etc. every year as a result of planting fish in my garden. And none of the toxic chemicals are used to taint my organic garden.

Lakers do eat other game fish though not as much as they eat the food that other game fish eat. I would rather have a king fishery than a lake trout fishery any day. Most will agree with me, those that don't just aren't educated. To each their own I guess.