King Slammin Shakedown 4-14

LOL Legacy I think the same applies for drinking beer  :lol: I had no idea stating my daughter would love to hold a fish the size of Slammers that he's going to bury would set fire under the azz of so many people, but then again I should of known for the reason I say below. I didn't know that they are one step away from glowing green:lol: I even said I don't voice my opinion because of the bashing I took on crow hunting, that I do the same as Slammin does with the lakers, no I'm not a wagon jumper I bought several hundred $$$ worth of Brian's rigs to hunt lakers just as Skipper stated, keep the kids busy and gives them the incentive to come along with dad again. On that note I'm done. Obey the law and all is good:handshake: PAP

I bought a bunch of gamblers rigs as well. With the looming bait crisis, many friends and myself included have decided to make an effort to keep our boat limits to reduce the population. I'm sure our efforts will only be trumped by the federal stocking next year, but it's worth a shot. I'm not just keeping lakers either, less kings will be released this year by me as well.
Pap, my son has been plucking away at the crows since coyote season ended. He has even cooked up a few breasts, and I have to say, it wasn't too bad. Tasted kind of like a lean, wild steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i bury all my fish remains in my garden and have for years. Yes, occasionally something digs some up but I'm certain several hundred pounds are buried each year and I have a big garden. I do wonder if the toxins that they may contain makes their way into the vegetables and fruit I harvest? At any rate it's likely healthier than most of what you purchase in the super market.
It is kinda tough to bury a bucket full of perch remains after filleting and knowing that if I sold the perch whole the guts would have been worth$50. I still prefer the fillets as I'm uncertain how I feel about commercial fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, Legacy said:

Thats not exactly true. Brown Trout and Lake Trout both have some guidances on Lake Ontario. https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/st_lawrence.htm 

NYS suggests that Women (that may become pregnant) and young children (under age 15) shouldnt eat anything from NYS waters.

No kids or women younger than 50 years old + one meal a month for everyone else is enough of a warning for me not to eat large Lake Trout.  Page 68-70 in the NYS fishing guide. Much better options out there.........esp. on taste!!!!

Are you kidding? If more people hunted them, there would be more of an effect. That's common sense. If less people hunt them, they become overpopulated. When coyote are overpopulated, they become deer killers. They are also known to kill most, if not all fox in area when the coyote population is too high.

Research suggests that when aggressively controlled, coyotes can increase their reproductive rate by breeding at an earlier age and having larger litters, with a higher survival rate among young. This allows coyote populations to quickly bounce back, even when as much as 70 percent of their numbers are removed.
It is nearly impossible to completely eradicate coyotes from an area. Despite bounties and large-scale efforts to kill coyotes over the last 100 years, coyotes have in fact expanded their range throughout the U.S. and Canada tremendously. One study even found that killing 75 percent of a coyote population every year for 50 years would still not exterminate the population.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Research suggests that when aggressively controlled, coyotes can increase their reproductive rate by breeding at an earlier age and having larger litters, with a higher survival rate among young. This allows coyote populations to quickly bounce back, even when as much as 70 percent of their numbers are removed.
It is nearly impossible to completely eradicate coyotes from an area. Despite bounties and large-scale efforts to kill coyotes over the last 100 years, coyotes have in fact expanded their range throughout the U.S. and Canada tremendously. One study even found that killing 75 percent of a coyote population every year for 50 years would still not exterminate the population.

We're talking population control, not eradication. Two totally different topics. Hunting coyotes most certainly helps control the population in much of the same ways deer hunters help control the population. It's foolish to believe that it does not

The adult lake trout population is way too high IMO. With the two bad year classes from the hard winters, the adult numbers need to be knocked down or the alewives could be in trouble. The DEC knocked the king stocking back to help take the stress off the alewives. They did not up the creel limit on lakers to help take the stress off the population. If everyone sits back and throws all the lakers back, you may not have a king fishery in the future. If the alewive population drops more, you can bet the farm that the Kings will go away before a natural federally funded species.

We're talking population control, not eradication. Two totally different topics. Hunting coyotes most certainly helps control the population in much of the same ways deer hunters help control the population. It's foolish to believe that it does not

Did you read my post? Killing coyotes has a small impact on population. The litter increases due to low numbers. You barely put a dent in the overall population statistically. Read up on it. Most certainly taking out a few would clear the area of them but only to have others move in. Coyotes have a crazy breeding pattern. Not many people hunt coyotes to lower numbers much.

Did you read my post? Killing coyotes has a small impact on population. The litter increases due to low numbers. You barely put a dent in the overall population statistically. Read up on it. Most certainly taking out a few would clear the area of them but only to have others move in. Coyotes have a crazy breeding pattern. Not many people hunt coyotes to lower numbers much.

I am very educated on the topic of coyotes. I am an avid deer hunter and trap predators in the winter. I am telling you that hunting coyotes WILL reduce their population. If more people hunted them, the population WILL be reduced even more. I know they will adapt, just like any animal when their population is threatened, but I'm not talking about taking it that far. I seek balance. Do you know what happens when coyotes become overpopulated? I think you should read about that before we talk more.

I am very educated on the topic of coyotes. I am an avid deer hunter and trap predators in the winter. I am telling you that hunting coyotes WILL reduce their population. If more people hunted them, the population WILL be reduced even more. I know they will adapt, just like any animal when their population is threatened, but I'm not talking about taking it that far. I seek balance. Do you know what happens when coyotes become overpopulated? I think you should read about that before we talk more.

There is definitely a balance. I don't think many people hunt coyotes because lack of land and the dieing sport of hunting. I will research some more on it. I just have a hard time justifying killing an animal to preserve the deer population. I don't think there will ever be a perfect balance all we can do is just respect nature and the laws to maintain what we all enjoy.

Until the mid 80's coyotes were just a myth over much on New York. Once people stopped trapping (and poisoning), they exploded. Killing anything at the top of the food chain WILL have an effect as the top of the food web pyramid has the smallest numbers. Look at the Michigan 333 tournaments year over year. As king numbers dwindled, anglers targeted Lake Trout. If you compare the Lake Trout size being measured lately you will notice the sizes are decreasing. A dent is being made IMO. 

Musky and salmon live in completely different zones of any lake and competition for the same food is little to none. Salmon are open water feeders. If I ever catch a musky 90 down over 300 I will recant this post

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Actually, in certain years they can and do reside in the same waters. Last year for example, there was a 55" musky taken off Oswego while fishing for kings. 2 days later we hooked and lost a musky around the same length, 20' behind the boat, hit a stinger spoon down 95' in 105'. Have seen other skis taken while trolling for kings in the eastern basin.

Capt Rich

2 hours ago, Rich D said:

Actually, in certain years they can and do reside in the same waters. Last year for example, there was a 55" musky taken off Oswego while fishing for kings. 2 days later we hooked and lost a musky around the same length, 20' behind the boat, hit a stinger spoon down 95' in 105'. Have seen other skis taken while trolling for kings in the eastern basin.

Capt Rich

Absolutely, we had one hooked up over 135-down 60, at first the dam fish almost spooled me, all the other poles got reeled in and riggers up, we backed towards this fish, like wicked tuna. LOL at least we got to see a shadow down 20+ feet I yelled it's a F'n Sturgeon, this was the biggest fish I ever hooked!! This fish did what it wanted to, to say I was in control at all times would be a complete LIE, we got it to about 5-10ft of the surface, the fish threw the breaks on before the swim platform got a oz of slack and 45 minutes of fighting was over as quick as it started. We used to catch sturgeon up in Canada on the Gatenau River in the mid 70's to early 80's we stayed at a camp called Lake Bitabi or something like that it was a tad above Maniwaike, they still spoke French and that was it. I know what a big sturgeon pulls like, this was a Muskie and a huge one at that, I wouldn't be afraid to say it was pushing the 60" mark seriously!!! But it's still swimming!!, we hooked this fish of the back side of the sunken island headed towards the north shore of Galloo island out in 135. I wasn't mad, I lost this fish, I don't care if ever hook another musky, but to the right guy this fish would have been a fish of a lifetime!! Muskies do go deep at times, there's a couple of guys hooked up on some. Great stories guys!! Pretty cool hearing the oddball stories, the ones you just can't make up!!:yes:

16 hours ago, King Slammin said:

Around here coyotes are hunted heavily in the winter. There is a local group of guys that runs them with dogs and they kill 70+ yotes a winter. It makes ZERO difference. The population drops for a few months until they adjust with big spring litters and then you are right back where you started,

It would take some serious hunting to actually make a difference and you would have to keep the pressure on them forever.

I kill a lot of coyotes because I love hunting them. People that fish Lakers ( I am not one of those people) do it because they enjoy it.
Mange kills more coyotes than hunting does.
I get a kick out of these people who start with "studies show"

I kill a lot of coyotes because I love hunting them. People that fish Lakers ( I am not one of those people) do it because they enjoy it.
Mange kills more coyotes than hunting does.
I get a kick out of these people who start with "studies show"

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in on the coyotes. Lol.