King Slammin Shakedown 4-14

Funny about your plan to take Lakers every time out.  I have a similar plan, but luckily I have a Korean neighbor that loves fish.  I have a buddy who takes them to Chinese restaurant he frequents and exchanges Lakers for take-out.  Compared to the toxic fish coming out of the ocean around the orient, lakers are clean by comparison.

Funny about your plan to take Lakers every time out.  I have a similar plan, but luckily I have a Korean neighbor that loves fish.  I have a buddy who takes them to Chinese restaurant he frequents and exchanges Lakers for take-out.  Compared to the toxic fish coming out of the ocean around the orient, lakers are clean by comparison.

I give away so many filets each year as well. I mean, a box full of 15-20 lb kings can feed an army. My dad takes the most since he lives in Pittsburgh now and rarely makes it out with me anymore. My grandfather loves baked salmon in rice with butter and lemon slices. Numerous friends and family members are always hounding me for a bag or two. But nobody eats the lakers. I don't blame them, I have tried several times. The meat has a weird texture. I grew up eating all the salmonids out of necessity and perhaps that ruined me. I just don't care for the flavor anymore. My spring walleye trips and ice fishing provides much tastier options. But I had two tomato plants rip the cages right out of the ground last year they got so big. That's worth it to me

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm with you King- lakers for garden in spring before planting season . Nasty fall kings would work fine but wrong time of year-I've been around Wilson for 45 + years. I take home as many 3-5 # spring cohoes That I can for myself- after that a couple big silver kings ( smoking/grilling and Bobs chowder). Every thing else is released or someone asks in advance for a KING and I get it when I can. No one wants lakers for table fare that I know. Everyone I know realizes they are no resource!! Apex predator eating machine,that can live forever!!! They can change the balance of this lake . Your tomato point in earlier posts about lakers burping up big tomatoes made me LMFAO- so true. Panfish and walleye are the eating fish given a choice for me personally. To each is own. Guess it depends on which end of the lake you are or if your local or someone that travels here. Good topic!

6 hours ago, King Slammin said:

No waste here. I consume healthy tomatoes, peppers, beans, corn, Brussel sprouts, etc. every year as a result of planting fish in my garden. And none of the toxic chemicals are used to taint my organic garden.

Just curious - with the DEC heath advisories out about chemical contamination of fish, how may of those chemicals are being introduced into your garden, and at what levels.

Wildlife Facility Asking Fisherman for Extra Trout for Injured Eagles
http://via.wnep.com/IbdXJ

I was reading this post and happened upon this story. Coincidence for sure! But another use for lake trout. Something can eat them if you don't feel like planting them for the vegetables to eat.

For the same reason we kill coyotes. Population control. There's way too many and they eat the alewives and emerald shiners that our salmon and perch live on

Killing coyotes does not do a thing. The DEC did a study and proved hunting coyotes and killing them has little to no effect on the main population.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pay attention to the current state of our fishery and you would have a totally different opinion. I have lived here my entire life and pay tax dollars on my property, licenses, and tackle that find their way into the fishery. I catch and release numerous steelhead, Browns, and kings every year. The lakers are severely overpopulated with an established natural reproduction and federal stocking. I will continue to keep my boats limit and encourage more to do the same in hopes of restoring balance in the predator/ prey population. I usually release a fair amount of kings in the spring as well but plan on keeping my limit, again hoping to achieve balance.

Lake trout have a slow breeding pattern. They breed little to none compared to other species. If pressured to much their numbers can fall dramatically leaving a breeding gap and overall low population to regain over time. I also eat lakers are they bad to eat?

Killing coyotes does not do a thing. The DEC did a study and proved hunting coyotes and killing them has little to no effect on the main population.

Are you kidding? If more people hunted them, there would be more of an effect. That's common sense. If less people hunt them, they become overpopulated. When coyote are overpopulated, they become deer killers. They are also known to kill most, if not all fox in area when the coyote population is too high.

Lake trout have a slow breeding pattern. They breed little to none compared to other species. If pressured to much their numbers can fall dramatically leaving a breeding gap and overall low population to regain over time. I also eat lakers are they bad to eat?

You can defend the greasers as much as you want. I'm still going to reduce the population as much as I want. They are way overpopulated.

Are you kidding? If more people hunted them, there would be more of an effect. That's common sense. If less people hunt them, they become overpopulated. When coyote are overpopulated, they become deer killers. They are also known to kill most, if not all fox in area when the coyote population is too high.

I'm fairly certain the DEC would love you to think hunting them doesn't hurt the population. Trying to make you think it's a waste of time.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Wow....5 pages, off topic from the original post about a successful outing, of opinions on a clearly stated law about the killing of a limit of Lake trout. Didn't know there was any law about the disposition of the dead fish. The man was out fishing, wanted to check his boat and caught some fish...legally...
A few good reasons in order of importance for legal killings of lake trout IN LAKE ONTARIO in my estimation, others may vary.
1. It's a mounting quality, cerimonious adulation
2. It's a big derby winner...not anymore though.
3. It makes a great fertilizer, makes quality fruits and legumes.
4. You can't catch any other fish, kids or someone wants to, and lakers are everywhere.
5. They make great picture subjects, then after they are released, might die anyway
6. You like cleaning their sh!t off your boat, akin to bringing cormorants along to do chinese fishing, then the cleaning of fecal material is justified.
7. Great table fare...from other lakes!

Anybody care to add to the list of positive reasons to LEGALLY kill lake trout? Most of the other opinion on negative reasons have already been listed in the 5 pages...it's all about balance. Even the DEC said so, made the law, wants that limit to be used to monitor and control as with every gamefish.
Oh by the way Slammin!
Nice day you had, and great success in your shakedown run. Don't let those giant tomatoes become carnivorous. We might have a new fear! [emoji106]

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

Wow....5 pages, off topic from the original post about a successful outing, of opinions on a clearly stated law about the killing of a limit of Lake trout. Didn't know there was any law about the disposition of the dead fish. The man was out fishing, wanted to check his boat and caught some fish...legally...
A few good reasons in order of importance for legal killings of lake trout IN LAKE ONTARIO in my estimation, others may vary.
1. It's a mounting quality, cerimonious adulation
2. It's a big derby winner...not anymore though.
3. It makes a great fertilizer, makes quality fruits and legumes.
4. You can't catch any other fish, kids or someone wants to, and lakers are everywhere.
5. They make great picture subjects, then after they are released, might die anyway
6. You like cleaning their sh!t off your boat, akin to bringing cormorants along to do chinese fishing, then the cleaning of fecal material is justified.
7. Great table fare...from other lakes!

Anybody care to add to the list of positive reasons to LEGALLY kill lake trout? Most of the other opinion on negative reasons have already been listed in the 5 pages...it's all about balance. Even the DEC said so, made the law, wants that limit to be used to monitor and control as with every gamefish.
Oh by the way Slammin!
Nice day you had, and great success in your shakedown run. Don't let those giant tomatoes become carnivorous. We might have a new fear! [emoji106]

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

Thanks skipper!! I'll have to remember to post pics of the garden in July so all the haters can see the fruits of my labor.

As stated many times in previous posts-DEC syllabus states to eat no lake trout of size from Lake Ontario . So yes accordingly to DEC they are not good to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Then we should kill every musky we catch, they are eating the baitfish salmon and perch eat too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Musky and salmon live in completely different zones of any lake and competition for the same food is little to none. Salmon are open water feeders. If I ever catch a musky 90 down over 300 I will recant this post

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think Skipper19 said it all and injecting some humor is a good idea here too. This issue kinda reminds me  of some perch fishermen I knew on Seneca....."Hey you're taking MY fish" :lol:

I believe the OMNR in Canada conducted a survey and found that 90% of the Lake Trout caught in Lake Ontario are released to fight another day.  It is not hard to figure out how stocking a fish that can live to 15 years old and is now confirmed reproducing (at a low rate), could become overpopulated.  It depends on the definition of "overpopulated", however, overpopulated in most our vernacular means as a percentage of gamefish available.  Given their toxin bioaccumulation over time, one would hope the DEC and OMNR would aim to keep the public safe and offer more of the silver and less of the green.

On 4/14/2017 at 7:48 PM, Gill-T said:

Despite the fishing handbook stating in bold lettering DO NOT EAT LAKE TROUT of size on Lake Ontario

Thats not exactly true. Brown Trout and Lake Trout both have some guidances on Lake Ontario. https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/st_lawrence.htm 

NYS suggests that Women (that may become pregnant) and young children (under age 15) shouldnt eat anything from NYS waters.

LOL Legacy I think the same applies for drinking beer  :lol: I had no idea stating my daughter would love to hold a fish the size of Slammers that he's going to bury would set fire under the azz of so many people, but then again I should of known for the reason I say below. I didn't know that they are one step away from glowing green:lol: I even said I don't voice my opinion because of the bashing I took on crow hunting, that I do the same as Slammin does with the lakers, no I'm not a wagon jumper I bought several hundred $$$ worth of Brian's rigs to hunt lakers just as Skipper stated, keep the kids busy and gives them the incentive to come along with dad again. On that note I'm done. Obey the law and all is good:handshake: PAP