Dead Perch in Lake Michigan

I investigated fishkills for DEC for many years.  It doesn't seem that an updwelling would be possible this time of year.  The deep water temp should be 39 degrees,  At this temp water is the most dense.  Surface temps are very close to 39.  Fish die when they  experience a large change in water temp as in summer.  Resulting in a drastic change in their metabolism.  Also all fish species in that effected area are killed, not just one.  One species usually indicates a natural mortality like a disease.   

I was kinda wondering that myself and is one ofthe reasons I posted.....wanted to get others take on it.

This was a picture that was posted on FB by one individual and the news outlets ran with the story even though nobody else, including people who were fishing the area, witnessed any dead fish in the area. The OP of this story hasn't come forward and cannot be contacted despite the efforts of the DNR, and there are many in my area that think this story is somehow jaded...

I heard about some kind of spill in that area. Don't know the details. The perch are usually spawning this time of year around the harbors. Lots of jumbos being caught around deep docks by where I live (northern Lake Huron).

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I investigated fishkills for DEC for many years.  It doesn't seem that an updwelling would be possible this time of year.  The deep water temp should be 39 degrees,  At this temp water is the most dense.  Surface temps are very close to 39.  Fish die when they  experience a large change in water temp as in summer.  Resulting in a drastic change in their metabolism.  Also all fish species in that effected area are killed, not just one.  One species usually indicates a natural mortality like a disease.   

I second this opinion not the right time of year for upwelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app