Costa Del Mar Sunglasses

I'm trying to make this decision myself right now so love to hear the feedback. I'm leaning towards either Tuna Alleys or Fantails with the green 580g lenses.

I'm also considering the Oakley Prizm Shallow Water lenses. So, apologies for hi-jacking, if anyone has experience with them I'd like to know how they are too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

28 minutes ago, Chowdaire said:

I'm trying to make this decision myself right now so love to hear the feedback. I'm leaning towards either Tuna Alleys or Fantails with the green 580g lenses.

I'm also considering the Oakley Prizm Shallow Water lenses. So, apologies for hi-jacking, if anyone has experience with them I'd like to know how they are too.

No problem The more responses the better.From the reviews I've read about the Tunas is everyone loves the glasses but they have problems with the rubber nosepiece falling off.

4 hours ago, Absolut40 said:

Costa Del Mar Sunglasses

I tried finding the old thread on sunglasses but couldn't. I'm leaning towards dropping the coin on these but need some input on lens color and type.Any input is appreciated.Thanks.

The website is extremely user friendly and helps greatly in choosing frames and lenses. For Lady O trolling I strongly suggest Blue mirror lenses. I'm a glass guy, but Nick prefers plastic for lighter weight. They now offer lenses specifically for low light and spot fishing, but for day to day open water glare the Blue mirror is the way to go. 

I love my Costa 580, but just picked up a pair of the Flying Fisherman Master Angler series Azore and Boca shades on fieldsupply.com for $30 each. They're glass lenses and normally run ~$90. No complaints so far for a pair of backups. Very light for glass, too.

I tried everything for sunglasses before costas (Oakley, ray ban, smith, bollè) and all had different things I didn't like. Tried a pair of costas and I have 4 pairs now 3 plastic 1 glass. I have mirror blue, yellow, amber and mirrored amber. I really like the amber and mirrored amber for fishing all day. As Vince said the mirrored blue is also a really good option but mine in that color are a ray ban style not wrap arounds so they aren't ideal. The two I wear the most often are my Blackfins and Saltbreaks. Haven't got to wear my Blackfins fishing yet as I just got them but I think they're the most comfortable pair I have just from wearing them daily.

Also if you live in the Utica area they have a good selection at gander mountain where you can try them on and they're 20 or 30% off with the store closing discounts.

Great info. Thanks, guys.

I looked at Smiths but I only found them for $240 for the model I would want and that's a bit much for something I will probably lose within a season.

On the lens front I definitely want to go amber, or green tint. I know this is mostly a salmon site, and I'm really getting into fishing them, but these glasses are mainly for shallow water for me. Bass, pike, etc.

Good to know about Gander too. I'll plan a stop the next time I'm down that way.

if at all possible, hit up a retail store that has a wide selection of Costas - they make so many frames that trying on several pairs finally landed me on my preferred Corbinas.  Down here in Florida where I live there is a tackle shop that has what I affectionately call "the wall of Costas" - literally 100s of pairs!!

Dex

Team Thrillseeker

Very good glasses. They actually sponsor my bass fishing team at the University at Buffalo. Real high quality glasses

On 4/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, Yankee Troller said:

If you're looking at sunglasses in the Rochester area check out Webster Eye Care. Tell them I sent ya. He often gives out some nice deals. I get my Costa's from him.

Good suggestion Rick. They have supported Lake O events in the past and Mike has been a very good guy to my brother who goes there. 

When I was on Vince's boat last year, I was trying to see which way to untwist some tangled wire lines thru my $15 cheap sunglasses and couldn't see crap. Nick could see the lines clear enough with his Costa's to know which way to unwind the twists. Made a believer out of me. 

12 hours ago, Gill-T said:

When I was on Vince's boat last year, I was trying to see which way to untwist some tangled wire lines thru my $15 cheap sunglasses and couldn't see crap. Nick could see the lines clear enough with his Costa's to know which way to unwind the twists. Made a believer out of me. 

Gill - You mean to say even the living legend, Vinny P, gets tangles on his boat? Phew....I feel a little bit better about myself now......LOL

So one point I haven't seen mentioned here, before you buy. Try them on! Just because you like the look of one style or another. It doesn't mean they will be comfortable for you. I have a pair of Tuna ally's, Fantails, Corbina, Saltbreaks and Blackfin. The all fit differently.
As for lenses I loved the green mirror until I got my first pair of Blue mirror. But I still switch between both depending on light conditions.
Good luck with your purchase.
And give Mike at Webster Eye care a call!!!

44 minutes ago, CTA said:

So one point I haven't seen mentioned here, before you buy. Try them on! Just because you like the look of one style or another. It doesn't mean they will be comfortable for you. I have a pair of Tuna ally's, Fantails, Corbina, Saltbreaks and Blackfin. The all fit differently.
As for lenses I loved the green mirror until I got my first pair of Blue mirror. But I still switch between both depending on light conditions.
Good luck with your purchase.
And give Mike at Webster Eye care a call!!!

Yeah I'm no where near Webster but the Gander Mountain near me carries some Costas so I'm going there first.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. I finally found a dealer when I was down in CT that had a pretty good selection to try on. It turned out that the 2 styles I thought I'd like the most didn't fit me well at all but I did find one that felt good.

So I went with the Blackfins and am very happy so far. And, Gator, I also grabbed a pair of those Flying Fisherman Boca Grandes for carrying around and they are really nice. Much nicer than any $30 pair of glasses I've ever seen. The Costas will stay on the boat where they're safe (r).

Thanks again, especially for the advice to try them on first. That made the difference in finding the right pair.

You'll love them! Glad you found a shop that had a large selection you could try on. That is a mistake to many people make, buying on looks not fit.