Lowrance transducer.compatibility

I'm buying a boat that has the HDs 7 Lowrance unit fish finder only and I was wondering if anybody knew if the hook 7 is compatible for the transducer so I don't have to tear one out and put one in unnecessarily. I called Bass Pro Shop and ask the guy there and he wasn't sure but he said the power cords were different but that's no big deal. Also I was wondering if anybody knew about putting the Navionics chip on a laptop. I heard a fellow saying that you could pay $10 and get a nap or something to use the church on a laptop. I thought you would need some kind of antenna to pick up the signal . I'm definitely a techno dinosaur any help would be appreciated

Sent from my LGL52VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would imagine it may be pertinent to  note which transducer you already have installed as that can make a difference in the quality of the signal in the two machines. The Hook 7 is CHIRP I believe and I don't think the HDS7 is. Therefore If the transducer was used for enhanced detail in  down imaging you will not get it with that HDS7unit. The HDS7 can use the standard 83/200 transducer. I believe it may be able to use the 83/200 mhz frequency of the Hook CHIRP transducer but it will not be able to access the medium and high range 455/800 mhz functions (ie. important for enhanced detail of the image on the display. Another potential issue may be if the power cord in fact does have a different connector the transducer cable my also and that would be a problem from square one.

Edited by Sk8man

There is a guy on here (wallyandre) who seems very familiar with the technical side of the Lowrance units and he may be better able to offer more info. I'd send him a PM if I were you.

I have the hds7 and my friend has the hook. My hds7 has chirp and his does as well. The only difference between our units regarding the transducers is mine has 50/83/200 frequencies his is only 82/200. Both units have the 2 chirp frequencies. Its my understanding that the blue transducer connections are compatible. Im not very tecno either, but Im pretty sure it will work. Im pretty sure your transducer has a blue connector? If the unit also has a blue transducer connector it will work. The power connections are different. hds7 is black and hook is red.

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe that although the (newer) Lowrance generation 3 units are CHIRP capable the generation 1 and 2 are not and that was what I was referring to in my comments. If the unit is a new Generation 3 unit it would be a different ballgame. As far as the Navionics app there is a web based app right on their website that can be used on a laptop to call up the maps of the lakes.

Edited by Sk8man

To know exactly witch transducer you are running, just check at the end of the transducer cable where it connect to youre unit, there is aluminium fold paper with a number. Let me know the #. The Hook run probably a HDI transducer and there is a way to get them compatible by choosing the transducer in the installation menu.

As for the power cable they are compatible. The Hook is probably red and the HDS is blue but they can be use on either.

As for the Navionics you can't use a laptop to read a Navionics map. If you got a smartphone or a tablet you can; you need to purchase the app for the phone ($15) or for a tablet HD version for I think $40-50).