Another EZ Steer question, welding connectors to outboards.

Has anyone ever welded their EZ Steer connectors to their outboards? I have an 8hp Merc and 140hp Johnson and those damn hose clamps just won't get tight enough on the Johnson and the connector moves with rough water putting a strain on it. My Buddy says he can tig weld it for me and I'm just curious if anyone else has done that.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Before you weld anything you should try home made u-bolts and clamps. A home made u-bolt is a a threaded 3/16 or tops 1/4  rod that is bent to fit snug around an outboard housing. a regular clamp with bolts will make it sit real tight. Another idea is using heavy duty 6 or 8  inch fernco clamps. they are stronger than the regular ones and can be tightened up a lot more, heck , you may add a third hose clamp. But welding on cast aluminum is not a great idea.

Edited by rolmops

Don't jeopardize your motor welding. Something to try is to see if you can find an old tire  inner tube someplace and cut a strip to place under the existing clamp between it and the shaft (dry) and tighten down the clamp will bind into the rubber and it should stop sliding. I'm also wondering if the connector rod is adjusted right because it should slide with that much pressure being exerted. Sometimes when they are too tight the little bar that the fitting is connected to will bend too.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

I just used some big stainless band clamps from homedepot, some aluminum angle, and some heavy rubber from tractor supply. Build a bracket to fit around your outboard then clamp it with the band clamp or 2. I'll see if I can dig up some photos of mine.

I know nothing about the situation really but as a welder and machinist by trade I agree with what has been said do not weld on that motor. Casting I'm sure is junk metal and will break at that point very quickly as stated above.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What I ended up doing was welding the shim sheet metal back on to the connector. The welds were cheap originally and that's what was causing my problem, the original broken welds. It's been reinforced now with thicker metal and it won't be moving anymore.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United