Light suggestions for back of boat

Mikecatt14

Looking for some suggestions for lighting for the back of my boat, plan on putting some LEDs mounted on my tree style rod holders (tallest thing on my boat) to give me some light for setting lines etc in early morning and after sunset. Looking for something kinda small so they don't get in the way, probably flood light of some sort.

Problem is, these days there are a million LED lights out there so I'm hoping someone can recommend a specific brand that is bright enough for this purpose.

may put a small LED spot light on each side too pointed towards the water so it's easier to see the fish to net then when it's dark but I think I can pick those out easy enough, it's the flood style for lighting up the deck that I'm not sure about

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ive tried the cheaper LEDs that you can find online.  They are bright and work, but Ive found out multiple times that the mounts completely suck and crack when exposed to the sun.  Ive scrapped them and bit the bullet on some of the RIGID INDUSTRIES Leds.  They are expensive, but bomb proof.  Look at the D-Series Floods.  My deck looks like a space ship with them on.  VERY BRIGHT.  and they have any mounting solution you could possibly need.  In stainless.

Ive tried the cheaper LEDs that you can find online.  They are bright and work, but Ive found out multiple times that the mounts completely suck and crack when exposed to the sun.  Ive scrapped them and bit the bullet on some of the RIGID INDUSTRIES Leds.  They are expensive, but bomb proof.  Look at the D-Series Floods.  My deck looks like a space ship with them on.  VERY BRIGHT.  and they have any mounting solution you could possibly need.  In stainless.

So the rigid "dually" style lights (with the 4 LEDS in a square) are plenty to light the back deck? How many do you run, just 2?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im using the D Series, not the Duallys. The Duallys would be overkill if you ask me.

Mine are the D-Series Wide product number 50211.  Shop around online.  I think I paid $300 for mine on amazon.

The D-Series Diffused product 70251 may be even better for lighting up just the deck area.  Much more of a "flood" pattern.

I cant imagine two of those D Series not being bright enough for you.  how big is your boat?  My boat is 22.5ft with a roof and cuddy.  The deck is approximately 7ft wide and 6 ft long.  I have them mounted on my roof, and aimed downward and slightly outward, and they are incredibly bright.  I don't have a good picture of them lit up at night. 

Also, I use a pair of D Series on my Polaris ranger on our farm.  Those two throw light out about 150yds, and probably 50yds wide.  I can spot deer a LONG way off. 

Just make sure you get the floods or hybrids, not the "spotters".  the spotters have a much more narrow beam.  You want more of a flood so the light is dispersed.

The Rigids also come with a wiring harness and illuminated toggle switch.  So youll just need some extension wire to get them Installed the way you like them...ie switch at the dash...

Here is my boat.  its an older pic so the lights aren't installed.  But I have them right along the back of the roof, aiming downward and outward slightly.  They make my deck GLOW

GXebo6N.jpg

If you really wanted to you could go with the Dually Side Shooters.  They have bulbs aiming to the R and L. So that would give you ALOT of light shooting out sideways away from the boat. But Im not sure if it would actually help with landing fish or not.  The way you could "cant" them during install may cause those side bulbs to be point more towards the mid boat area, instead of out over the gunwale.  they MAY allow you to see your dipsy tips and planer boards better at night though.  Just a thought

Edited by jigstick

Coastal Night Lights blows.  Horrible customer service.  The mounts are plastic and suck and break.  They don't respond to emails for replacements.  Ive gone through 4 of their lights.  Comparing them to the Rigid ones is like comparing Harbor Freight tools to Snap On.  I recommend you avoid Coastal at all costs