Changing Mono

I usually change every year but last year I didn't use my spring rods at all. I kept the spooled reels in my basement or in the cabin of the boat. Would prefer not to change line on 10 reels if it is not needed but would like some opinions? I use Trilene big game BTW. Thanks in advance.

As long as it has't been out in the sun fior long periods and not in real hot environment you don't have to worry. I've had some Big Game mono on some reels for about ten years without any problems especially 12 pound test and above. I usually just strip offf a few feet at the start of the season. I know many folks do it a lot sooner but I rotate my 40 plus rods a lot and always keep them inside the house in the cool cellar. If you charter or your stuff gets very heavy use you need to check them and replace much  more frequently or if they are left in a hot boat compartment for extended periods. I haven't had any line failures by the way. I do change my light test lines (e.g. walleye and perch stuff) quite frequently as they are more prone to failure and are more easily fatigued or abraded. I also change the fluoro leaders very frequently and monitor them closely for abrasions.

Edited by Sk8man

Change it - you will immediately regret it if you break off a monster and likely blame the breakoff (whether warranted or not) on the failure to change the mono.  Besides - after you add up everything invested - mono for 10 rods is essentially free when compared to all of the other expenses. 

Sometimes adhering to the old addage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" applies. There is a lot of "superstitious" behavior and fears of losing that monster of a lifetime that goes on in fishing and I am guilty of it as well but if you take a look at the line and it doesn't appear to have any obvious defects (visible weak spots) or abrasions why change it out after just one season. Sometimes OCD pays off in the fact that paying close attention to detail avoids potential problems but a lot of folks really get into overkill too.:lol: I think checking the condition of fluoro leaders and re-tying knots eliminates more of the potential for break-offs than changing line every year. "New" line isn't a guaranteee either because it may have been sitting near a heat source for months or near a showroom window for a year etc.

Edited by Sk8man

10 hours ago, AnglingAddict said:

Change it - you will immediately regret it if you break off a monster and likely blame the breakoff (whether warranted or not) on the failure to change the mono.  Besides - after you add up everything invested - mono for 10 rods is essentially free when compared to all of the other expenses. 

LOL. I bought a 290 Amberjack last year. I'm starting to find out the cost of the boat is the least of my expenses!!!

How true that is A LURE, I thought snowmobiling was losing battle with keeping cash in your pocket, and fee's hiding from the other half:lol:, there ain't no comparison, only $10 is now$100, $50 is now $500 so forth and so on, I could be driving a brand new 2017 fully loaded pickup of my choice with what I got sunk in this vessel plus gear!! BUT I can only think of 1 thing that bring as much enjoyment into my life, and that you don't need your clothes on :inlove: now that we have a set of twins, they consume way more$$$ then my hobby. If you put my daughters on the boat and their reeling in a fish, yelling dad get the net!! It's like walking through the white gates to heaven. :sun:   

I change every year no matter how much use. It is a cheap insurance policy! If it's gonna fail, you know it will fail at the wrong time!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If mono is kept away from heat , direct sunlight , &  in neutral light should ok for most of season .

Another way to keep it fresh is to add backing perhaps braid to ur reels & top shot it with 100yds of mono or so . The braid will last indefinitely & changing it now becomes cheap and easy task . 

I have let unused 30 lb mono sit in a closed tackle box in a cool basement and suspected it may not be as strong as new mono and it was not.  The old mono broke at the knot fairly easily while the new mono, same type, berkley big game broke the swivel I was using to test with.  Take a portion of the old line and tie a swivel to each end.  Put 1 end in a vice and grab the other with pliers, for me it was not even close, new line was substantially stronger.... wear eye protection when doing this

I would worry more about the knot itself whether new line or used. Without abrasions or stress (e.g. stretched) points on the line the knot is the weakest link in most cases.

I changed my mono every season. A huge spool of mono is cheap compared with all the other crap you spend money on. Plus it's a fun project to do in the offseason and it's an opportunity to check your reels, line guides, reel seats, etc.

Why not do it once a year when the cost per rod of monofilament is negligible? Just make sure you recycle your used line and don't just throw it in the trash

Chris

Like a lot of things personal preference plays a huge role in this issue and there is no right or wrong way attached to it either. I respect your views and your thinking but I guess I'm pretty "old school" and I try to weed out things that don't work for me and don't usually change things until necessary and attend to details as well but after all these years of fishing and thousands of fish including many kings reeled in I have only had a couple break offs one of which probably cost me a derby but that was due to using a ball bearing swivel with a split ring which cut the line.and the other was a commercial fly that broke right at the fly so none were related to failure of the main line itself. Today we live in a throw away society and waste much that ends up in a landfill somewhere.I'm sure there is a lot of perfectly good mono in with that stuff. :)

Edited by Sk8man

My opinion is spring to spring is a long time to sit for mono on a reel.  Run 30ft or so off depending on the width of the spool then test the line using same knot on each end.  I understand for a comparison you need new line but piece of mind when you have a big fish on is worth the effort. - Dave