WHAT A SLOB !

I wonder if they tried to revive it so it didn't count against them.  A laker that old can't be that good to eat even if you like lakers.

Sustenance means you only take what you need.  How you do it is irrellevant, however, gill nets are to fishing what chemical weapons are to warfare - kills indescriminately.  Why not use dynamite?  I see a potential opportunity for St.Croix.

Wow...that fish is truly amazing. That thing could eat my dog, no problem! You'd need a very large bait to entice that fish with hook and line...it could fit a spawning King in its gullet!! Imagine the size of the crap that fish would take in your boat, lol.

Gill nets are  an energy efficient method of providing fish for the public.The mesh size determines the average fish size taken to protect immature fish and also avoid over sized trophy fish, Less  fuel energy is used compared to trawling that also takes many unwanted fish.The USA imports three billion dollars from foreign nations annually and the Canadian Commercial fishery exports from Canadian waters eighty per cent of its catch to the USA and Europe. 

I bet that fish is 75 yrs old. No kidding, they live long and are slow growing especially with that cold water. Too bad about the gill net...that sucks. Keep that in mind when keeping a big laker even in Lake O. , they are old fish and will take 10-30 yrs or so to replace the fish you  just kept.

I bet that fish is 75 yrs old. No kidding, they live long and are slow growing especially with that cold water. Too bad about the gill net...that sucks. Keep that in mind when keeping a big laker even in Lake O. , they are old fish and will take 10-30 yrs or so to replace the fish you  just kept.

The problem with the big ones out of Lake Ontario is they are spent. Most of the time they come up from 39-42 degree water into 70+ degree water. The 34.06 we boated in 2012 did not even flop once on the floor. If it wasn't a derby, the fish have never been revived.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, tman12 said:

Agree 100%. Lazy way of acquiring fish that takes its toll on fisheries.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They aren't sport fishing, they're fishing for food. I know this is a tough concept for you to understand but in some places they don't have grocery stores right down the street or in some cases people just don't have the money to travel to the grocery store and buy meat. I guess when you've never experienced places like that you wouldn't understand