Niagara Falls

The wife and I have never seen the falls, would like to make a trip to see them one day when we are in the area fishing free bar.

Are you allowed to drive a boat up the river close enough to see the falls?

Whether or not that is an option what are the other ways/places to see it from?

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No you can't drive up to falls. Take maid of mist tour. They take you right to base of falls. Cave of the winds allow you to walk behind the falls. Leave boat at home and grab a charter. Dangerous water. 

A hike down to Devil's hole is awesome. Only takes a couple hours. Pretty easy walk in sneakers. Plenty of parking. This a few miles downstream of falls on American side. You're right next to the lower river. It's pretty amazing to see so close up.

Sent from my XT1565 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think one of the best views is on Three Sisters Islands which are on the west side of Goat Island. Amazing view of the upper rapids ,cant see the Falls from that point as your just above them. I think you would be scared #$6%66 less before you even got to the Power Plant, never the less the actual Falls,6 miles upstream from that. I would love to see that ranger go through some class 5 rapids or whatever the highest ranking is, can you say a 10 ' wall of water slowed us down ? Google kayakers Niagara Falls rapids to get a good idea what a couple hundred thousand cubic feet of water looks like when it is compressed into a portion of the river that is a couple hundred feet wide.

I think one of the best views is on Three Sisters Islands which are on the west side of Goat Island. Amazing view of the upper rapids ,cant see the Falls from that point as your just above them. I think you would be scared #$6%66 less before you even got to the Power Plant, never the less the actual Falls,6 miles upstream from that. I would love to see that ranger go through some class 5 rapids or whatever the highest ranking is, can you say a 10 ' wall of water slowed us down ? Google kayakers Niagara Falls rapids to get a good idea what a couple hundred thousand cubic feet of water looks like when it is compressed into a portion of the river that is a couple hundred feet wide.

Lol not considering doing any rapids, never been there so I'm clueless on the whole thing I had always heard of the boat tours like maid of the mist so I didn't know if the river below was open to say get within 1/4 or 1/2 mile or whatever. Obviously the way to go is a park or tour

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've lived 10 minutes from the Falls my whole life. This IMHO on how to fully experience Niagara Falls. Walk -don't drive across the Rainbow bridge and enjoy the view from the bridge and the great view from the Canadian side. Then take the Maid of the Mist boat ride to the base of the falls. All of this is breath taking!! Next go for a nice relaxing ride on the Whirlpool Jet Boat. Jet boat rides depart from Lewiston,and Youngstown NY or Niagara on the Lake Canada. The Jet Boat ride will make you really appreciate the power of the Niagara!!! Finally take a salmon fishing charter out either Youngstown or Wilson and fish for spring Kings on the Niagara Bar in the month of May!!! Do all this and you will have really experienced what NIAGARA is all about! And I'm sure we'll see ya again soon!

I was up there for a conference in 2006, did not have passport or enhanced license, so I stayed on the USA side.  Park and walk, see the falls from near the visitor's center, then take the hike up to Goat Island and walk out there and follow the paths along the falls out there, at least.  DO NOT ENTER CANADA (driving or walking) without an Enhanced Driver's license or a passport, you will get in with no problems but will have a world of trouble to return to the USA.  I agree that if you are going over there, you are better off walking from the USA side, it is very easy to get lost in Niagara Falls, Ontario while driving, signage is often ambiguous.  Spent 45 minutes looking for the Gale Center last year when I drove up, and from the number of people who arrived late at that meeting, I was not the only one lost!  Ended up in the kitschy downtown area on the way out, lost again, and complete Pain to drive through!