Tohatsu 8hp weak tell tale hole stream

sstout

Tohatsu 8hp weak tell tale hole stream

So, just replaced the entire water pump assembly. The impeller, upper and lower cases, and all gaskets this winter in my kicker motor (Tohatsu 8hp 4 stroke). Water tested it this past weekend and the stream coming out of the tell tale hole is week and sort of dribbles out. The old impeller partially melted at the top. Could there be bits of rubber blocking the water tube? There shouldn't be anything wrong with the water pump since it is all new. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Yes there can can be pieces of rubber in the cooling system. The best way to get them  out is by removing the thermostat  and run full pressure garden hose in the reverse direction. Before you do that you should double check if there is a blockage n the little hose that feeds the tell tale (pisher) spiders like to crawl in there and lay eggs.

When you remove the thermostat, where do you out the garden hose in? Do you put the water in where the thermostat goes? Also, I was going go remove the lower unit again to double check that everything is ok. Should i flush it with the lower unit off?

Sure sounds like a blockage of some sort (probably doesn't take much either) and rolmops is right about the spiders messing with the exit hole. They do the same thing to outdoor grills  affecting the igniter. I believe there are two different thermostats to choose from and I think it relates to the type of water the motor is used in (cold vs. warm?) Good luck with it.

Edited by Sk8man

Finally got some time to troubleshoot this this weekend. It was just a clog. I took a long price of wire and ran it up the tell tale hole. A bunch of little rubber pieces from the old impeller came out. I got the ears hooked to the hose and started the motor. The stream is super strong now. Must have been clogged. Thanks for the advice everyone

That took care of the small pieces. There probably are a bunch of other larger pieces that didn't fit through that hose. You should back flush to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United