Lake O Flooding

Lake O Flooding

I understand the added safety concerns with the high water levels but from a fishing standpoint how will the high water level impact this years salmon season?  Browns?  Anyone been through this before?

- Dave

In my opinion and that's all it is. But i am basing it on how i have seen Lake Ontario change over the 35 plus years i have been fishing it. This lake used to be very nutrients rich and always had some color. A lot of things have changed that. Zebra mussels, restrictions on fertilizers farmers use, new rules on phosphorus, and others  have effected this lake. It has slowed the algae blooms, made the water clearer and in turn hurt the plankton and bait fish that feed on it. I don't care what anyone says the clear water is not healthy water for fish life.Ok now to why I think the high water and higher volume of run off is good for the lake. Right off the bat the inshore fishing for browns and cohos has been very good this spring and mostly because the water is not gin clear. Last night i fished and did very well and saw more bait on the beach than i have in the last few years. Fish spit up 2 different year classes of alewife, gobbies, emeralds and even a stickleback. Now to the long term effect all the dirt that is getting washed in from run off and from the wave action on the shore that has been dry for years. In all that dirt has to be some nutrients and I am hoping it will help the plankton, and in turn the bait fish. The DEC is very concerned about the bait fish, the mild winter and this run off might be our savior of our bait fish.

Was out of Olcott in the NE wind last friday afternoon, didnt mark any bait but we did manage a few small browns, before deciding the cold wind was no fun.  I have just never heard of the lake being this high.  Hoping bluegiller is right as well

• 2 weeks later...

It might be bad for fishing, in that many guys aren't going to be able to get out because their docks and the launches are underwater... or because they have no money to fish due to devastation to the shore of the lake and bays...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have seen video and pics online, it looks terrible for the land owners. I will be out again 13th and or 14th barring completely terrible weather.  Hoping Olcott/newfane harbor launch holds up and in the long run hoping everyone can find a happy medium for the lake levels.

Yes the flooding will bring more nutrients to the lake.  Adding nutrients increase the bottom of he food chain and is carried up to the top predator.  However I don't think the volume of nutrients in this event will add much to the large volume of Lake Ontario.  Also zeebs will feed on this nutrient increase