New temporary "no-wake" within 500' of shoreline.

Both Ontario and New York closed down their coal burning power plants and our power grids reached near failure in the hot summer of 2016. The IJC decided to cash in on our power demand and jacked up the water level of Lake Ontario about three feet. Consider the water power energy stored in that thousands of square miles of water that their power stations could generate.

This is not a natural event as the upper lakes have decent water levels even with the record rain fall so far this year. This is a political decision and the heads of our American and Canadian Officials must be held accountable for the billions of dollars, both American and Canadian, lost by property owners around the Lake and St. Lawrence River systems.

You do have quotable sources for those allegations, right?  I've seen nothing on any press anywhere to indicate any of this, maybe the Russians have all the evidence?

According to the USACE daily reports, Superior is 5" higher than long term average,  Michigan/Huron is 11" over long term average, Lake St Clair and Erie are 20" long term average, and Ontario is 32" over long term average.  In February, Ontario was ~8" over long term average, in March ~14" over long term average.  Where did they store that 3 feet of water they held back last summer when the lake was so low last fall?  I know it is difficult for people who need to place blame to consider science and facts, but this is clearly charted as a result of the extremely high rainfall we've received in the last month and a half, almost as much rainfall as they have received over the drainage area of Montreal.  

How many Power stations are generating?  I thought it was one, Moses Saunders.  What is its capacity, can it generate unlimited energy with more water?  Plants of which I am aware have maximum capacities, in some, more water means no generation.

A lot of the damaged property is built right on the water, a lot of the affected people didn't bother to carry flood insurance.  My old Spanish friends have a saying, when you mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns.

Huge areas of Montreal are as much as 4 feet deep as reported by Adam Choduk last week.

Edited by Lucky13

9 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

I find it funny that the IJC webpage no longer allows you to open the link to the outflows page.....

http://ijc.org/en_/islrbc/Regulating_Lake_Ontario-St._Lawrence_River

The link worked last week.  Now anything you click on the page directs you to the same home page.....

Maybe it is overwhelmed with traffic.

BUFFALO, NY--  A warning has been issued for WNY boaters due to the high water levels on Lake Ontario. 

Customs and Border Protection is suspending some of the videophone stations where small boats can go to report that they've returned from Canada.

The Dunkirk, Erie Basin Marina, North Tonawanda, Youngstown, Wilson, Olcott, and Point Breeze videophones are impacted.

For now -- boaters returning from Canada will need to call 1-800-827-2851.  You will need the following information: 

1) Name, Date of Birth, and Citizenship of the master and all passengers
2) Name of the vessel and State-issued registration number
3) Home Port and Current Location
*If vessel is 30 feet or longer, U.S. Decal number

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

The Canadians are part of this problem also. They shut down their coal burners. Our coal burners could have been converted to natural gas but Albany stopped the new pipeline from Pennsylvania. When our electric bills double, then maybe the media will respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you don't think this is political/money based then you are blind. The only thing they have to redirect everyone towards is environmental/fishery impact that they keep referring to and trying to pass the blame.

I just read a response on the outflow change to the St. Lawrence river on Face book.  If you don't believe it is politically / money driven, you are foolish.  Here is the quote" the absolute maximum is between 11,000 m3/s to 12,000 m3/s, however, this will cause dangerously high speeds in the channel and low levels in Lake St. Lawrence, so the board may only want to release 9900 m3/s to ensure shipping may still continue.  The shipping industry requires 2 weeks prior notice of adverse flow conditions".  F- shipping.  People and business are being flooded out.  This is costing the towns / counties huge money. 

I saw the same thing Brian, now let me ask you a question... put yourself in the shoes of people living in Montreal.... think we have it bad.... look at them. I am not saying you are right or wrong, but Lake O and Erie can hold a lot more water than the St Larry. Unfortunately this was the perfect storm for this year, between Mother Nature giving us over 3x the average precip, not just here, but the upper Great Lakes and ESP Canada. There is nothing we can do to make it go down any faster, other than pray for warmer temps and no precip. Mother Nature still holds the hand to beat, and right now she is winning.

Rich

Just now, Rich D said:

I saw the same thing Brian, now let me ask you a question... put yourself in the shoes of people living in Montreal.... think we have it bad.... look at them. I am not saying you are right or wrong, but Lake O and Erie can hold a lot more water than the St Larry. Unfortunately this was the perfect storm for this year, between Mother Nature giving us over 3x the average precip, not just here, but the upper Great Lakes and ESP Canada. There is nothing we can do to make it go down any faster, other than pray for warmer temps and no precip. Mother Nature still holds the hand to beat, and right now she is winning.

Rich

I totally get it Rich.  I'm not for any more flooding that can be avoided.  But to put shipping ahead of flooding is money driven.  If parts of Montreal are flooded and we can let more water out of the lake without flooding Montreal anymore, it should be done.  The parts that are already flooded are flooded.  Why hold back water to only flood more people out that are not flooded yet? 

Well unfortunately if they stop the shipping, which we know they won't do, then it affects the whole country, not just our little piece of the pie. We all
know that we are nothing in the eyes of the big guys. This is something we will have to deal with until Mother Nature has had enough laughs.

Rich

Seems like that statement from "whomever" on Facebook is flawed. Lake St. Lawrence level would increase, not decrease.The Massina Dam is above where the Ottowa River, which is raging, empties into the St. Lawrence R. Montreal is downstream from the Ottowa River. Lake St. Lawrence is downstream from Montreal. If they were to increase flow from the Massina Dam, Montreal will be flooded worse and Lake St Lawrence water level would increase drastically causing or increasing flooding there. Unfortunately, no matter how you look at it, there is a limit to how fast the lake can be lowered through the St. Lawrence R. AND mother nature is the only place you can put any blame.

I don't think the amount of rain we had could have been predicted. And even if it could have been, letting out extra water ahead of time may not have been enough either.

I just read that they are shutting down shipping in two weeks to let a ton of water out of the St. Lawrence. We will see. I guess it will be at the max flow rate.

BOY O BOY, I would have bet a months worth of pay checks that would of never flew!! Maybe insurance companies pushing the deal!! Millions and Millions of dollars are be turned and being turned into people's insurance companies. We all know how the ins. Co. Get what they want. Just take a look at the 3 major car ins. Co did to the deer population in Pa. NO doubt they trumped the shipping industry??

The IJC website is back up and running.  It was changed and they took the reports section out that showed the outflows at the Massena dam.  I wonder why they do not want people seeing that info now?

The surface area of the Lake Ontario drainage basin in the USA and even larger in Canada is probably larger than the Mississippi River basin. It floods almost annually but the flooding potential of Lake Ontario has been under estimated and ignored by our alleged educated officials and shore line residents. There you go.

It would be easy to place the blame on Nature but our construction of the the Saint Lawrence Seaway project took nature out of blame. We enjoyed controlled lake levels for half a century now but bad things happened. The Chicago Ship Canal is the only other other outlet for the Great Lakes and it is monitored for Mississippi River flooding. Well we have to deal with changes every day and this is not the end of the world. Just a change.

Also to be considered is Ontario Hydro opened their new huge tunnel under the city of Niagara Falls, ON for their power production and was this added flow around the Falls considered in the computers that predict water levels?