Downrigger mounting question

I was just wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to mount a cannon downrigger. I have a 1995 Spectrum Sport. I issue that I have is that the top of the Gunwale is relatively thin. There is nothing on the bottom for any support. I was thinking about a tracking system but not sure if that was really an option with it being thin. I appreciate any help. Thanks 00b0b_r6yYjS07JD_1200x900.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The top rail is to thin you mean the material being to thin and maybe the bolts would pull through the thin aluminum??  I always make a backer plate usually bigger than the base of whatever I'm mounting, that way it would have to yank a chunk of the boat off to lose the rigger. If that happens your trolling a bit to fast :lol:

6 minutes ago, Kwall said:

Tracks system will work fine , add a backer I use a 3/4 inch oak as a backer

What he said. You can use wood or metal backing plates. Either will work. Just make sure you use one of them in any mounting situation that creates torque on that gunnel.

im with buckmaster,trolling bar is the way to go,no bending over to hook line to release,bring weight to the surface,cinch in ball retriever and your release is waist high.

I'm also with with the other 2 guys. The transom bar is prob you best option. Plus you can customize it the way you want it. (Cubbies, spoon holders, cooler storage). I like to think of it as a wall before getting flushed over the stern. plus it won't get in the way of the curtains when in the down position.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On my 18ft TROLLER I had the bar also, I had two aluminum pedestals made and a peice of 4" C Channel, also aluminum, for the cross over.