Small Outboard Throttle Cable, Lube or Replace?

Todd in NY

Small Outboard Throttle Cable, Lube or Replace?

The throttle cable on my 1980 Evinrude 7.5 is difficult to move by hand. I just replaced the grip, helix, and pin parts, but wanted to see WHY the old grip parts had difficulty adjusting the throttle. So, while I had the grip and helix off the tiller handle I attempted to move the throttle cable by hand and I was surprised by how much effort it took. Should the throttle cable be easy to move by hand, like a new steering cable? It doesn't feel right to me but I have never had to replace one before. I'm thinking I probably need a new throttle cable. Is there a way to grease the cable? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by Todd in NY

I would buy a cable luber that Motorcycle shops sell. It's a device that clamps onto the bare cable and seals against the housing, then you insert the red plastic tube from the spay can and spay lube. If that doesn't work then you have the tool so you can lube the new cable before you install.

It should slide with two fingers back & forth. Is this a tiller handle model?,and the cable is the throttle control at the helm? Is the tiller throttle hard to turn also? Some have like a ramp set up to make it hard to throttle up, I had a few like that it's for trolling with out having to manually hold the handle, some have a set screw to create friction so the throttle doesn't back off, I wish my kicker had this option, notta!! I searched the world over, all it has is a fast idle adj. so a little Cleo is used to slide against the rod and the handle. :lol: poor mans trolling adjustmentLOL

Hey Pap, it's a tiller steer model. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that a sticky old throttle cable might be what wore out the grip and helix parts. I've only had the motor for 18 months, and it was never easy to twist the throttle grip. It wouldn't stick at high throttle, but it was pretty tough getting it to twist for more speed. It wasn't as easy to turn as my 15 HP model was.

Ok if it's intermitting then it's not the twist control that would be under the handle mine had 2 1/4" screws you loosen up and slide the ramps together this created friction so the throttle stayed in place, the vibration wouldn't let the throttle to return or back off.