State of the Lake -- Everyone please read

State of the Lake

I had the honor to spend the day aboard the USGS research vessel Kaho.  Today's baitfish assessment took place off the Sumerset plant in Niagara County from 170 meters depth to 25 meters.  I believe we can rest easy knowing that the alewife assessment is in very capable hands and there is a ton of bait out there.  The bottom of the lake is filthy with adult alewives.  Considering there is bait in the harbors already and the excellent early numbers coming in from the bottom trawls offshore, the alarm signals sent out about the missing two year classes of alewives appear to be premature.  Book your charter trip, plan to tow your boat.......hell ride your bike to Lake Ontario because she is alive and well.  Special thanks to the crew of the Kaho.  Next time you see one of them buy them a beer as a 12 hour day trawling is HARD work.

Edited by Gill-T

1 minute ago, Gill-T said:

State of the Lake

I had the honor to spend the day aboard the USGS research vessel Kaho.  Today's baitfish assessment took place off the Sumerset plant in Niagara County from 170 meters depth to 25 meters.  I believe we can rest easy knowing that the alewife assessment is in very capable hands and there is a ton of bait out there.  The bottom of the lake is filthy with adult alewives.  Considering there is bait in the harbors already and the excellent early numbers coming in from the bottom trawls offshore, the alarm signals sent out about the missing two year classes of alewives appear to be premature.  Book your charter trip, plan to tow your boat.......hell ride your bike to Lake Ontario because she is alive and well.  Special thanks to the crew of the Kaho.  Next time you see one of them buy them a beer as a 12 hour day trawling is HARD work.

Amen. I fall in love with Lake Ontario all over again every Spring. I am also very impressed with the crew of the Kaho. 

There are a whole lot of magical things going on out there right now.

Well, finally good news at last!! We will take at this point, now if the water levels would get under control we'd be sitting pretty damn good!! I'm very happy with the bait situation, that fantastic, maybe the mindset of others will change some, on the predators killing off "most" of the bait for the other preferred species.

Thank you Vince & Nick and Chad and Bruce for taking the time to see the Science side of this Tremendous Lake Ontario Fishery.

Jerry
RUNNIN REBEL

Bruce is Sam or Gary going as well ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Bruce,

You are scheduled for the DEEP water (175 Meters) off Rochester tomorrow. Starting in Canadian waters then south. Bring passports or Enhanced Drivers License.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Considering the reaction many Lake operators had to not being included in the Hatchery meeting in February, I'm sure you're all bending over backwards to insure that tributary anglers are included in these "boat rides?"  Jes' sayin.....

7 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Considering the reaction many Lake operators had to not being included in the Hatchery meeting in February, I'm sure you're all bending over backwards to insure that tributary anglers are included in these "boat rides?"  Jes' sayin.....

Not sure why you didn't get an invite.....hmmmmm.  I think you should run down to your mailbox and check and see if your invite arrived. If you don't see it today, that's ok.... just keep checking. Your invites to all the birthday parties you thought you were not invited to might be in there too. 

Only making the point that many open water anglers, at least one who has posted on this thread, were also 'offended" that a discussion was had with tributary anglers, and the open water fishery folks were left out.  Here we have a situation that is the opposite, but it is no biggie that it is a closed discussion.  Most of the ditch fishers I know already trust the science, don't need to see the little fish on the decks, hopefully that trust can happen with the open water leadership as well in the future. 

12 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Only making the point that many open water anglers, at least one who has posted on this thread, were also 'offended" that a discussion was had with tributary anglers, and the open water fishery folks were left out.  Here we have a situation that is the opposite, but it is no biggie that it is a closed discussion.  Most of the ditch fishers I know already trust the science, don't need to see the little fish on the decks, hopefully that trust can happen with the open water leadership as well in the future. 

I believe the only one smart enough to vote NO for chinook cuts was Capt Vince. Every other stake holder voted yes to the cuts because they believed the science. Out of the Questioning of the science however, the trawler survey has expanded their reach by gathering a much bigger sample size. Lots of good came from questioning the science. I am all for ball busting but your comedic timing sucks. The news is good coming out of the lake. Be happy. 

Edited by Gill-T