Kickin amps

Fishstix

Shortly I will be adding a kicker motor. Im going with a Yamaha.Ht8 or a Ht9.9 . My question is amps. The 8 puts out 6 amps the 9.9 puts out 10 amps.Im thinking the 6 amps should be enough. I do have dual batteries w/selector switch.But a also run a lot of stuff in the boat and the last thing I would want is a dead battery in the middle of the lake.XM radio,VHF radio,gps,chartplotter,fishfinder,4 down riggers. Any opinions out there?

BTW the 8 hp is quite a bit cheaper.Just a few pounds lighter.

Stixs,

I am going with the T8 also. I was told by Mike from Mike's marina that it has more than enough juice to power the electronics and still charge the baterries. There is a 30' charter boat that runs out of his marina that runs the T8 and has actually used the kicker to charge his batteries to start his main motors after the boat sat for a awhile. I can't wait to get the boat in the water with the kicker. Super quiet, and a gas and a$$ saver to boot. I went with the T8 due the power tilt and trim. Good Luck.

Rich

wow....at first I thought your subject title read "kickin ass", then I reread it and put the gloves away :lol:

I'll answer your PM also but thought that some of the guys may be interested in this. Not for all boats but may apply................. to a few.

My kicker (9.9 Mercury 4stroke) has a 6 amp alternator and seems to handle my boats power requirments just fine. .............. My electrical needs are - 4 Big Jon's, VHF, GPS, FF and Autopilot (older King AP2000). The autopilot is engaged alot of..................... the time that I'm trolling and is probably the highest power consumer on boad.

Here are a couple neat add-ons that I installed to take the guess work out of some of your concerns:

A small profile battery monitor that keeps you informed of the % of charge of each battery. I got the surface mount.......... unit and is easly to install. Cabela's has them on sale now for $20.00. Well worth the cost and you'll never worry about .................. how your batteries are doing. A quick look at the gauge and you'll know if switching/charging batteriers is needed.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

The next neat gizmo is a little tach/rpm gauge. Installs in about 15 minutes or less. I put this on because I'm one of................ those guys that wants to know how many hours are on the engine. You'll crank up a lot of trolling hours before............... you know it. I like to know when it's time for a oil change, not guess at it. Also put one on my ATV ;)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Had to do some jerking around with the ....... so you wouldn't loose any words that go off the screen :? . I know .................. the guys are working on it so this will have to do until that's fixed.

OK...lets try this:

First of all the links still will bring you to the gizmos, so thats ok.

To be able to read all the text in the posts I selected that particular post that I want to read and past it in my word processor or note pad to read the whole thing. I know , a lot of jerking around, sorry.

I hope I can fish better than I use a computer :$ .

i have used a 9.9 yama ht since 1995 (just ordered a new one) i went

with the 9.9 because of the 10 amp alt. don't forget the alt amp output

is at wide open trottle, at least that is my understanding.

john :)