Transom Reinforcement

tds840

Transom Reinforcement

Just had a Mercury 15hp kicker (115 lbs) and Ez-Steer Kit put on my 2000 Trophy 2052 boat at a local Rochester marina.  The new bracket is a Panther with the 16" vertical rise rated for 269 lbs.  They installed the bracket using a heavy duty backer plate on the inside of the transom and said that the transom was is great shape but there "may" be the possibility of the transom flexing some, especially at high RPMs in rough waters (they said 5 mph or faster) and suggested I take the boat to Watercraft Clinic out in Red Jacket or Wolcott to have them fiberglass the backer plate right onto the transom for added support.  First, has anyone gone this extra step to secure your backer plate to your transom, and second, does anyone know of an alternate place to have this done that is closer to Rochester.  The Watercraft Clinic would be over an hour drive for me each way not to mention they are backed up for about a month. Thanks, - Tom

Edited by tds840

I don't see how glassing over the plate is going to add strength, many guys that have kicker brackets have the bigger size plates to support the bracket with motor. The only way it would add more strength is if they added another pieces of plywood and wrap it into the corner and somehow affix a board from the transome to the floor at a angle, basically adding gussets from the transome to the floor. I think the guy  meant you might have flex with speeds at 5mph with the kicker. If The marina mounted the bracket they are not going to do it if it would weaken the boats structure, as they would be liable. You are fine with what they did for ya.  :muscle:  

Thanks PAP.  I figured as much but when they threw out that suggestion it kind of got me thinking of what I should do so I thought I would toss it on this forum just for some feedback  Thanks, again !!

i just got done doing my boat with a 8 hose tohatus with a panther 10 inch bracket . i put a backing plate in too i used 12 x 12 x 1/4 aluminum plate. when i was on the water this weekend trying thing out . it was fine . ,, but when i hit the M FT button on the controls . that kicker motor dug in and pull hard on the trap . i say it drop an 1 1/2 inches  down . when we took turns checking in out  the movement was in the trap . it has to be pulling on the transom hard. i don't thing i be using the M F T button . my boat is a crestliner saber aluminum boat and i cant think how i could add more support than it is , making the transom thicker then the backing plate , sure not into that job 

Edited by fisherdude

I've had my bracket on for 15 years without problem and previously had a 90 lb 9.9 2 stroke on it and now replaced with a 91 lb 4 stroke and did not elect to have the trim and tilt model so I could keep the weight below the 115 lb max for the bracket. When the bracket was installed they put a backing plate inside the transom and two layers of 1/2 inch starboard type material on the OUTSIDE as well. It has tolerated 45 mph rides in rough water without ever any problem and absolutely no flexing. Maybe reinforcement.thumb.jpg.d51e28fa8ad11ebb0563018c32fbea75.jpgsomething to consider?