Buoy ID question

They look like the buoys that the DEC uses to mark their nets . They set up nets to sample the kind and number of species present in a body of water . I see similar buoys on nets on the St. Lawrence.

44 minutes ago, EYE SPY said:

I'm sure there's a candidate in there lol. Now this may be a stupid question, but I'm assuming any fish tangled up in the net will be a goner?

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup that's what pisses me off, just like the gill netter always sets his nets the week before eye season, of course he's netting catfish so he says, he sets his over on the perch river side.

Really depends on the type of net. Some just trap the fish like a fyke net. Which has wings and a large kind of live well area that holds the fish so they measure and release live fish. Usually gills nets bouies are in a straight line, anything with angles most likely are another kind of net. Usually gill nets are set in deeper water and the other nets are in shallower, less than 10 ft.

Messing around with the nets could cause you to be cited for illegal commercial fishing that your sport fishing license does not allow. Stay away, really way away since if you lift the net when your hooks become entangled accidentally, you will have a lot of time trying to explain to an ECO Officer and a Judge of what happened.

Messing around with the nets could cause you to be cited for illegal commercial fishing that your sport fishing license does not allow. Stay away, really way away since if you lift the net when your hooks become entangled accidentally, you will have a lot of time trying to explain to an ECO Officer and a Judge of what happened.

I would absolutely never mess with them. I'm assuming they will be removed by next weekend, they're right in the middle of one of the busiest trolls for opening weekend of walleye. If not someone should get a video camera ready because they would most certainly get trolled through that day. I was just wondering because I've never noticed them before in years past.

2 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Yeah I know I was just joking I don't think anyone would go out there and start grabbing fish especially before the season even opens.

6 minutes ago, EYE SPY said:

I would absolutely never mess with them. I'm assuming they will be removed by next weekend, they're right in the middle of one of the busiest trolls for opening weekend of walleye. If not someone should get a video camera ready because they would most certainly get trolled through that day. I was just wondering because I've never noticed them before in years past.

Shhhh don't be giving away those good spots. haha I won't be over there but it gets hammered by noon.

Edited by Chas0218

That's why I never fish opening day, it's a mad house!!  Monday- Thursday, leaving Friday depending on action maybe not till afternoon or Friday morning, good luck to all!! I think this will be a banner year. Tight lines fella's with lots of LadyO gold  :rock:

21 minutes ago, pap said:

That's why I never fish opening day, it's a mad house!!  Monday- Thursday, leaving Friday depending on action maybe not till afternoon or Friday morning, good luck to all!! I think this will be a banner year. Tight lines fella's with lots of LadyO gold  :rock:

Come on Mike you don't like that combat trolling? :headbang: I'm hoping we can get on a few good ones for the guys, might have my little guy out there this year depends on if Mom will let him come. He is usually my good luck charm haven't been skunked when he has been on board.

Well, I don't mind the combat fishing it's the clowns when finished with their troll that fire up their big hammer motors and floor it just outside your setup, and create a wake that just about makes you lose your balance, I mean come on. Now for the better part of this discussion how's your little man doing, and how old is he know? My daughters bring me good luck also, mom won't let them come along, a week missed in school is to much for them to make up, well you know, your in the same profession. I wish you the best, especially with little man!! I can tell your a proud man!! as most of us with kids are!! Be carefull with Jr on board, they have to be right in the action!! That's a good thing!!  :yes:

The nets should be tended daily unless weather conditions deem it dangerous. With the colder water temperatures the fish even in gill nets should be alive for release unless they are sampled for forage or health advisories.

1 hour ago, rolmops said:

If that concrete box is a sewer outlet,they will probably catch "brown trout".

YUCK!! Rolmops, it's not a shyt hole, I know where that is, I'm not sure what that is used for??

3 hours ago, rolmops said:

If that concrete box is a sewer outlet,they will probably catch "brown trout".

Haha no that is a shore well for freshwater drinking, so I hope there isn't any brown trout in there or he has some problems.

On 4/27/2017 at 5:12 PM, guffins fisherman said:

I know NYSDEC has been doing a lot of work with the sturgeon population in the lake. I believe BRB and the river are a big spawning ground for them, which would explain the nets in the spring of the year.

Didn't know this. Two summers ago there was a big sturgeon washed up dead on the sandbar. Been there for awhile when I saw it, it was nasty. That's cool to hear though. Hopefully they'll make a comeback.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone identify these buoys purpose? They've been on the north shore of black river bay for a few days now
IMG_20170426_081054312_HDR.thumb.jpg.18abd57a82a65c2e29c604e7d05b3ad8.jpg

Shhhh don't be giving away those good spots. haha I won't be over there but it gets hammered by noon.

Ok just a few mins

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app