I'm jumping ship!

I'm jumping ship!

So I have been a long time fiberglass boat guy but I have got hooked on those plate aluminum boats. I love the look of the Hewescraft, Kingfisher, and North river but holy price tag, the middle class working man wouldn't be able to afford that with school loan payments 2 kids a mortgage and yada yada yada. Well I have been researching and I think I have found my next boat. I believe they are brand new to the Smoker Craft lineup called the North angler Phantom series. They are a similar to those west coast boats but with a little more manageable price tag. Granted they aren't 100% welded aluminum but they will definitely fill the niche. They offer 3 lengths 2 of which are their "Offshore" model. I am seriously considering the 222 Offshore model in 24'11" the smaller offshore model is the 202 at 22'6" either way both those boats would be solid Lake O boats. The only thing I can find that isn't welded on the boats is the floor and possibly the gunnel area. It looks like it has 2 different canvas options with a bimini or rigid structure wrapped with canvas. All around good looking boat, just waiting to see what the price tag is. I have saw out west they are selling for around 30K if that is the case I could definitely justify that to the wife vs the before mentioned.

I'm jumping ship! So I have been a long time fiberglass boat guy but I have got hooked on those plate aluminum boats. I love the look of the Hewescraft, Kingfisher, and North river but holy price tag, the middle class working man wouldn't be able to afford that with school loan payments 2 kids a mortgage and yada yada yada. Well I have been researching and I think I have found my next boat. I believe they are brand new to the Smoker Craft lineup called the North angler Phantom series. They are a similar to those west coast boats but with a little more manageable price tag. Granted they aren't 100% welded aluminum but they will definitely fill the niche. They offer 3 lengths 2 of which are their "Offshore" model. I am seriously considering the 222 Offshore model in 24'11" the smaller offshore model is the 202 at 22'6" either way both those boats would be solid Lake O boats. The only thing I can find that isn't welded on the boats is the floor and possibly the gunnel area. It looks like it has 2 different canvas options with a bimini or rigid structure wrapped with canvas. All around good looking boat, just waiting to see what the price tag is. I have saw out west they are selling for around 30K if that is the case I could definitely justify that to the wife vs the before mentioned.

I just bought a 20 ft starweld last year. Basically the old smoker craft that's now being produced by Starcraft. It's a solid boat. They get tossed around a little easier than a fiberglass but I think the positives out weigh the negatives. My only complaint on my bot is the gunnels are thin. I had to back them up with 2 inch wood to stop as much flexing as I could to run riggers straight out the side. The rears seem much more sturdy tho. This will be my first year running 4 riggers out of it so I expect some modifications still to be made. Good luck and tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The gunnels seem to be thick and geared towards big water fishing like with riggers and masts they offer berts tackle packages but I think I would go a different route for myself. Seems like the old islander with a twist, I like having a cuddy on my current boat but with the bench seats they offer there will be plenty of room for gear and my kids to sleep on the bench.

Edited by Chas0218

I bought a 1991 sylvan eliminator 19 ft it came with a all galvanized trailer no motor boat is solid I only paid 1500. For out fit I put new carpet in boat I painted boat put new 90 etec and 10 hp kicker on it all together with boat motors new electronics new riggers I have around 15,000 in setup looks like a new boat handles lake o great

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hey chas0218
They had the smaller model on display at the hamburg show this year. I believe it was on display by " bow n stern marine" you might want to give them a call and see if they have one you can see in person as well. I spent quit a bit of time checking the boat out and was very impressed, looks to be a great boat.

Good luck in ur search

21 minutes ago, SharkHunter said:

Hey chas0218
They had the smaller model on display at the hamburg show this year. I believe it was on display by " bow n stern marine" you might want to give them a call and see if they have one you can see in person as well. I spent quit a bit of time checking the boat out and was very impressed, looks to be a great boat.

Good luck in ur search

Yeah I'll have to give them a call, there are only a few on the whole east coast that sell them.

Gave them a call, man they are still a pricey boat, 40k for the 202 Offshore and 46k-47k for the 222 Offshore. Anyone interested in buying a kidney?

A place over on the west coast has them not sure if it is worth the $1500 to drive over to the west coast to pick one up. On the west coast shipping would run me about $2k so for that $500 might be worth having it shipped. 

2 minutes ago, Chas0218 said:

Gave them a call, man they are still a pricey boat, 40k for the 202 Offshore and 46k-47k for the 222 Offshore. Anyone interested in buying a kidney?

A place over on the west coast has them not sure if it is worth the $1500 to drive over to the west coast to pick one up. On the west coast shipping would run me about $2k so for that $500 might be worth having it shipped. 

Are they much cheaper on the west coast?

My buddy just bought a 22' ocean pro Hewescraft and drove out west to save some big $$. We are in Illinois, and even from here it was an expensive and taxing trip to get it home and he said he would probably do shipping if he had it to do again. It's hard to buy a boat long distance for that kind of dough without actually seeing your boat in person though...

Awesome boat though. After seeing it in person...now I want one...

20 hours ago, fishmaster13184 said:

Are they much cheaper on the west coast?

Depending on the boat you can save up to 10k. The 222 Offshore is about the same price as the 202 they sell on the east coast. That is about $6k-$7k less so in reality you would be saving around 4k after shipping. I have saw the 222  cheaper than $40k as leftovers but you looking at an average of $2k for shipping it to the east coast. I'm not sure the $500 is worth my time driving 40 hrs. one way to pick it up. If you do the math it's about $6.25/hr. I could be a lot more productive home at my house but it could also be a family trip make some stops at cool land marks spend a few days in between just checking out the rest of the US. I guess I'll have to run it by the wife to see what she would rather do. This is still a few years out but it's worth the effort to watch the market and see what is out there in the mean time.

Edited by Chas0218

15 hours ago, Tyee II said:

My buddy just bought a 22' ocean pro Hewescraft and drove out west to save some big $$. We are in Illinois, and even from here it was an expensive and taxing trip to get it home and he said he would probably do shipping if he had it to do again. It's hard to buy a boat long distance for that kind of dough without actually seeing your boat in person though...

Awesome boat though. After seeing it in person...now I want one...

They are, the Ocean Pro was/is another contender for me. I want something in the 22'-26' range. We currently have a 23' cuddy and it is nice to have that area to get out of the weather but is a lot of wasted fishing space. Those west coast alum. boats make good use of the space they have. The rigid frame with canvas in my eyes is the only way to go, the hardtops are nice but the ones I have been in are hot during the summer months and that is primarily when I fish. The removable canvas is nice so you can basically have full sun or stay out of it where with a hardtop you have 1 option.

Edited by Chas0218

I had Willie Boats build mine a few years back and they sent me pics of the build while it was going on. I had a hot shot driver from Oregon trailer it  for $1500 cash,  and I met him along the route in Ohio, so he could get a back haul nearby. Saved me money that way.  Lately I've been looking at boats with a cabin, but since I mostly fish alone, and I'd never be able to replace my Willie if I didn't like the bigger boat  I'm hesitant to do it.

Edited by sszoldra

Chas - something to consider is to have custom canvas made such as a dodger with zip out windows etc. It can provide temporary shelter as well as privacy yet most of the time you can enjoy the openness of the boat. That is what I did with mine and it works well. I have standup canvas with a transition piece, bow canvas so I can totally enclose the front end of the boat if necessary. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the full bimini and standup canvas with windows etc.... setup just the dodger. The wrinkles inthe plastic come out ....it was folded up inside a compartment in the boat before the pic was taken. The side panels zip out for when it is hot weather while the top still provides shade and have velcro solid pieces to go over the windows for privacy. It is stored in a fold down boot right near the bow rail when not in use. and it has fastener to keep it from moving when underway.

dodger2.jpg

dodger1.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

2 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Chas - something to consider is to have custom canvas made such as a dodger with zip out windows etc. It can provide temporary shelter as well as privacy yet most of the time you can enjoy the openness of the boat. That is what I did with mine and it works well. I have standup canvas with a transition piece, bow canvas so I can totally enclose the front end of the boat if necessary. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the full bimini and standup canvas with windows etc.... setup just the dodger. The wrinkles inthe plastic come out ....it was folded up inside a compartment in the boat before the pic was taken. The side panels zip out for when it is hot weather while the top still provides shade and have velcro solid pieces to go over the windows for privacy. It is stored in a fold down boot right near the bow rail when not in use. and it has fastener to keep it from moving when underway.

dodger2.jpg

dodger1.jpg

Yeah, I was looking into canvas for my current boat but I'm trying to get away from my boat. She needs quite a bit of work and will likely be cut into pieces for easy disposal, the motor and parts sold or also disposed of. I love my current boat but for what she needs it isn't worth the investment. Stringers are shot, hull has longitudinal cracks because of the bad stringers. The repairs would be expensive and on a 1981 boat I won't ever get the money back out of her. Not to mention the stuff that I want to do will be a very nice down payment on a new boat. There are a lot of upgrades to my current boat but that is about all she is worth the used price of the parts. Main reason for going aluminum is the longevity factor. If I'm spending a lot of money $20k+ on a boat it is going to need to last 20 years or more (at least the hull).

I bought her in 2011 and has served me well for the past years surprised she has lasted this long.

Edited by Chas0218

Chas I was referring to  when you get a new one not the old one....that way you wouldn't have to get one with a hard cuddy but would have both the option of a "cabin" and the open boat. These dodger can go on an aluminum boat as well as glass.

Edited by Sk8man

Chas I was referring to  when you get a new one not the old one....that way you wouldn't have to get one with a hard cuddy but would have both the option of a "cabin" and the open boat. These dodger can go on an aluminum boat as well as glass.

O ok gotcha. The smoker craft only comes in canvas but the others offer a hard top just not my style.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Prolines, man. 36 years old and still slammin' the eyes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah she holds her own. Kept me and the family safe in a lot of big water. Been a very reliable boat only almost sank once but the flotation foam kept her upright.

When you find your aluminium boat opt for the front mounted minn kota with advanced autopilot, priceless when trolling a light boat into the wind.

I currently have a raymarine auto on this boat, wouldn't trade it for anything. Worth it's weight in gold.

Yeah she holds her own. Kept me and the family safe in a lot of big water. Been a very reliable boat only almost sank once but the flotation foam kept her upright.

I hope to get the same life out of mine. A lot of people bang on Proline, but they are solid boats, built to last.

I hope to get the same life out of mine. A lot of people bang on Proline, but they are solid boats, built to last.

Yeah not sure where the hate stems from, they are a little lighter made than your robalo and Grady but from 1995 and newer they are all composite.