Water Levels in Dexter/Sackets Harbor.

Last night they had a huge storm surge over 3' in places. A charter captian posted some photos on Facebook. Yesterday i almost lost all my dock sections of my father in law wasn't there to get therm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Man Chas0218 that sucks, in your report you said "3' in some area's" meaning snow in feet or 3 inches of rain, again I'm not criticizing your speech!! It wouldn't surprise me if 3 foot of snow fell in places up there, but this evening around 10:pm or so they are calling for heavy rains. This cold front moving through is supposed to be nasty!! With heavy rains. I hope not!!

Edited by pap

Pap, he was talking about a 3ft storm surge that might have washed some docks away. I've personally seen 3-4ft waves on Chaumont Bay when the wind is steady out of the west/SW.

Regardless of where anyone fishes Lake Ontario and it's bays/tributaries, keep a sharp eye out for floating debris. Some of that debris is floating slightly below the top of the water, so you won't see it until you are right on top of it. We're talking docks, dock pilings, trees, lumber, you name it.

Guys,and gals. I was out on Chaumont bay yesterday. I gotta tell ya, be careful out there. There is so much crap floating, bobbing and suspended out there it is scary. I backed the throttle all way off and idled around. I know everyone is excited to chase eyes, but this high water is floating everything off the shores, and the variable winds are taking it every which way. I saw a METAL pipe sticking out of the water today where it shouldn't be. I saw a tire bobbing around. I saw a log big enough to take your lower unit off if you were on plane. The guy pumping gas into to my boat spoke about complaints of a dock floating free. This opener will see some stranded boaters if we are not careful out there. Be careful out there this weekend. 

1 hour ago, pap said:

Man Chas0218 that sucks, in your report you said "3' in some area's" meaning snow in feet or 3 inches of rain, again I'm criticizing your speech!! It wouldn't surprise me if 3 foot of snow fell in places up there, but this evening around 10:pm or so they are calling for heavy rains. This cold front moving through is supposed to be nasty!! With heavy rains. I hope not!!

No I meant 3 feet. Dave from excursion posted the photos. Not sure if he is on here and would like to post the photos. Crazy weather and the next 4 days of rain isn't going to help the situation.

I was up this weekend. Waters crazy high. Only put 3 dock sections in this, usually i put in 5. My dock was 1/2 under water when I left yesterday morning and a neighbors entire wooden dock floated by my camp. Water was rolling over Black River dam sunday morning. The water was fluctuating up and down very quickly sunday morning. 6" up and down every 15 minutes or so and probably rose about 24-30" overnight. I like the high water, but it's a tad too high right now even up in Dexter Marsh where my camps at. Hope it drops about 8". 

I fished for lakers on saturday out of Stoney and there wasn't too much trash floating. A few large sticks herer and there, but nothing too bad. I didn't go into BRB or any other bay areas, prob. is much worse around the shoreline. Lots of rickity docks are getting tore loose. 

Holy moly guys, yea that's the highest water in the lake that I've ever saw.  Yea sure it's been as high in Dexter at times, but it settled right down after a few days, geeze I wonder how many rigs are going to get tore off getting snagged on shyt floating around. I would assume putting a spread out might be a costly mistake. Darn it anyway I finally get my shyt together and now this, just so happens we have a week of not much going on so I could get away for a week, and now this high water. I thought they built such a relief dam of some sort?? Well I have to play the hand I was delt, so just motor around safety with all eyes looking for a harpoons, might have to trailer to certain launches instead of making the treck at a snails pace.  Thanks for the heads up on the lake conditions!!!  :yes:  PAP.

Full spread on my boat just will need to clean the lines more often, running the riggers with 10lb weights maybe I can get myself a new dock! They are calling for a steady south to southwest wind for most of the week so I think most of it will end up on the shore line by this weekend.

Edited by Chas0218

8 hours ago, pap said:

Man Chas0218 that sucks, in your report you said "3' in some area's" meaning snow in feet or 3 inches of rain, again I'm not criticizing your speech!! It wouldn't surprise me if 3 foot of snow fell in places up there, but this evening around 10:pm or so they are calling for heavy rains. This cold front moving through is supposed to be nasty!! With heavy rains. I hope not!!

Hey chas, I just read my post and I ment to say I'm not criticizing your speech, so I changed it and do apologize for that!! Sorry PAP.

Edited by pap

Hey chas, I just read my post and I ment to say I'm not criticizing your speech, so I changed it and do apologize for that!! Sorry PAP.

No problem, didn't think you were. It's tough to believe the water fluctuates that much. My winch motor on my rail system got caught in a surge couple years ago water came up 2 feet while we were all sleeping. Got up the next morning to fish and the motor kept popping the breaker. Took out a screw and watched the water drain out. After that nothing surprises me anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

56 minutes ago, Chas0218 said:

No problem, didn't think you were. It's tough to believe the water fluctuates that much. My winch motor on my rail system got caught in a surge couple years ago water came up 2 feet while we were all sleeping. Got up the next morning to fish and the motor kept popping the breaker. Took out a screw and watched the water drain out. After that nothing surprises me anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I feel much better now that I know, you took my bad statement -- with a grain of salt!! Thanks for being a understaing!!   PAP