Fishfinder

OK my fishfinder crapped out on me and the bad news is I can only scrape up about 300 bucks right now to replace it . Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good choice for that money . would like to hold out for something better but really cant salmon fish without one .

Thanks Mike

Well at the risk of sounding like a moron (witch I am LOL) the head unit is broke . It does not power on anymore . I left it sitting on the side of the boat and pulled out of the drive and it hit the blacktop that was the end of it! Anyway it was a cheap older eagle that was due for upgade anyway.

I was looking at a couple diff humminbird models and would like some input if anyone has it .

Looking at the 580 combo with GPS for about $335

The 727 with GPS optional for $240

or the 565 with no GPS for about $200

I do have an older garmin GPS 12 handheld but wasn't sure if that would be good enough for marking or not . Never really learned it but I just got it out of the closet and seems to still work fine.

I do like the ones with a higher pixel rate for better picture.

Are the GPS units worth the money and if so is it better to go with the 580 witch has maps and can save routes or the 727 that I can add GPS but does not have maps or waypoints.

The more I look at them the more confussed I get just need to buy one and forget it

Thanks any input will help

Mike

I don't know how big your boat is but if it is not a huge boat, I would reccomend the Humminbird 343.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10879

I have the 383 gps combo and it is a ****in unit. I used to work (still am emplyed) at West Marine and I have played with a whole lot of units and that was my favorite for the price.

I also reccomend to save a little and get the 383 with GPS because it is so usufull for just a little more dough.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Phil'>

I have the 383 gps combo and it is a ****in unit. I used to work (still am emplyed) at West Marine and I have played with a whole lot of units and that was my favorite for the price.

I also reccomend to save a little and get the 383 with GPS because it is so usufull for just a little more dough.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Phil

A couple of things to keep in mind when you're looking for a replacement...don't settle for less than 500 watts RMS, 4000 watts peak-to-peak. You'll need that amount of power at a minimum if you're going to be doing any amount of deep water trolling. Any less than that and you'll miss out on a lot of what's going on under water. I'd also look for a dual frequency transducer (50/200kHz) and a color screen. Once you go to color you'll never go back to monochrome.

Several years ago I went through the same situation as you and went for the less expensive, lower powered unit. In the end I hated it and replaced it with a model that was more suited for the type of fishing I was doing and I ended up spending a lot more than if I had just done it right the first time. Now I have a Furuno 585 and couldn't be happier with my fish finder.

If I had a $300 budget, I'd opt for more power and a color screen and wait on the GPS, especially since you already have a hand held. One that I've seen out there that would work well for you is the Eagle Seafinder 500C DF. Take a look at it here:

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 578&page=1

Eagle products are basically the previous generation of Lowrance products. They have the same menus and look and feel. For the money I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

If your budget allows, I'd definitely look at the Humminbird 747C. It has 500 watts RMS and would be a great unit for you but it's priced at $399: http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 660&page=1. In my opinion, Humminbird quality is excellent and their customer service is fantastic. I have their 955C NVB Chartplotter/GPS on my boat and we absolutely love it.

DSC05929.jpg

Hope this helps!

I notice that the pixel count on the color units are lower then some of the monochrome ones I am looking at is that not as important when its color

I was planning on dual freq wasnt really thinking color but the more people I talk to the more I think I should go with color and more power . I see GPS can be added to alot of the humminbirds for 100 bucks

The higher the pixel count, the better the images on the screen and the more detail you an see. BUT, the difference between color and mono is so great that I'd definitely say go for a color screen even if it has a lower pixel count than a comparable mono screen. You'll be surprised at the things you can see with color that you can't see with monochrome. And definitely go for at least 500watts RMS, 4,000 watts peak-to-peak.

More power is only part of the equation. It'll definitely help you get better readings at deeper depths and it'll provide more detailed readings. The units you see out there with 200 watts RMS just won't cut the mustard when you're targeting fish that are down 100 ft or more. They're designed as shallow water finders and are probably pretty good when you're bass fishing, but I wouldn't want to rely on one for every day salmon fishing. The other part to the equation is the transducer that you run all that power through. I've been running an Airmar thru-hull triducer on my boat and there is no question that it gives me much better detail than I ever got with a factory transom-mount transducer. Given your budget a thru hull is out of the question though. I'd go with the most power that you can afford, a color screen, and try to get a dual frequency transducer. Put your money into those three things and I think you'll be very happy you did.

Be sure that you're looking at the same power ratings between units too. Some manufacturers quote peak-to-peak ratings and others quote RMS. If you find a unit that quotes 2400 watts peak-to-peak, that only equates to 300 watts RMS. To convert peak-to-peak ratings to RMS just divide by 8. So what I'd be looking for if I was you is 4,000 watts peak-to-peak which is 500 watts RMS.

If you're ever in the Fair Haven area, feel free to stop by the boat and I'll run our Furuno for you and show you the kind of details that we pick up that a lower powered unit won't.

Bill,

I too am looking at upgrading my current humminbird fishfinder. I have been looking at the 777c2 until you mentioned the 747c. The only difference I can see between the two units is the pixels and speed/temp on the transducer. The 777c2 is 640v x 480h vs. 747c 320v vs. 240h. I have the humminbird gps already on my current fishfinder so I get my speed from there. It looks like it comes down to pixels for me. Is it worth an extra $100 for the pixels or will I be ok with lower pixels? Will I notice a difference?

Mike

I am looking at the same ones also looking at the 757c with gps but I seem to like the picture on the 777 and can add gps later on that one. if you can afford it go with the 777c the pic is alot nicer I should no what I can afford in the next couple days. but am leaning toward the 777c

Mike

You'll notice a difference in pixel count for sure. The higher pixel count in the 777 will allow you to see more detail. The 777 has speed & temp built into the transducer too, and that's nice to have. Surface temp is really useful when fishing browns & steelies when you're looking for a temp break on the surface. I mentioned the 747 initially because of the price restraint, but if you have the extra cash, go for the 777.