East end versus West end

East end versus West end

I have fished both the east end and the west end ,but mostly the east end over the past few years. I'm just wondering about the good fishing out west and center and the steadily declining fishing in the east end for most species both in size and numbers. The little Salmon River used to have full slips but every year there are fewer boats and  some charter captains are relocating farther west. Is it because the nutrients coming down from lake Erie and the other rivers are gobbled up by the Zebra and Quagga mussels and there are not enough nutrients left this far east,  or is there another reason? There is of course the possibility that I am just a lousy fisherman, but it seems to be an opinion shared by many other fishermen. There seems to be no shortage of Lakers, but that is mostly on the sand flats farther up north and quite a ways to go from The little Salmon. The grounds in front of the power plant just are not what they used to be.

Edited by rolmops

AS reported by NYSDEC biologists, the generalized pattern is west end early and then a  gradual shift to the east end as spawning time approaches.  As to numbers, the 2106 report documents the drop off in  BT and RT numbers both in the lake fishery and in the tribs.  But they also indicate that the numbers are whole lake averages, and quality may be much better or worse depending opn where you are.

"During 2016, there were time periods and locations of both excellent and poor fishing quality. The four most
sought after species are Chinook salmon, brown trout, rainbow trout, and coho salmon, and regulations allow
a daily harvest limit of “3 in any combination” of these four species. In 2016, charter boat fishing quality (catch
rate=number of fish caught per hour of angling) for these four species combined increased 21% from 2015
(Figure 2).
• The best Chinook salmon fishing quality among charter boats occurred during 2003-2016. Fishing quality in
2016 was similar to the 2003-2016 average, primarily due to relatively good fishing in the West Region during
May through August, and during July for all regions. Angler reports of poor Chinook fishing quality during
portions of the 2016 fishing season and/or in specific areas were confirmed by survey results.
• Fishing quality for brown trout was near record high levels in recent years, however, for a second consecutive
year, fishing quality in 2016 was among the lowest recorded and 16% below the long-term average.
• Coho salmon fishing quality in 2015 and 2016 was well below the long-term average (-57% and -70%,
respectively).
• Rainbow trout fishing quality was at record high levels each year 2008-2014; however, fishing quality declined
markedly during 2015 and 2016. The 2016 catch rate was 25% below the long term average.
• Lake trout fishing quality improved each year (2008-2013) from the 2007 record low, and has remained
relatively stable since."

Also, lets not forget the possible effects of a successful pen rearing project. Not all the fish are imprinted with the salmon river water. (most still are), but the disbursement of the fish over the hole lake is more even. These fish are hanging closer to there stocking location until mature and the need to spawn drives them to the Salmon River for the ones imprinted to that Tributary. Others run for their stocking tributaries.

The numbers are still in Mexico bay in late August and September. The hatchery is sill getting their fish for the eggs. I only recall one year were they were asking for egg collection from other tributaries.. I could be wrong on that because I do not live there but one year they were asking for help on the internet and I have not seen that sense then.

West end definitely has better fishing early in year. East end has water that is just too damn clean. Always caught fish on east side but worked my ass off to get them. Took a charter with my brothers on Crazy Yankee this April, and we did amazing numbers over 2 days. His tactics were not any different than what I run. Difference was the water. East end you can count the rocks in 20' of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

West end definitely has better fishing early in year. East end has water that is just too damn clean. Always caught fish on east side but worked my ass off to get them. Took a charter with my brothers on Crazy Yankee this April, and we did amazing numbers over 2 days. His tactics were not any different than what I run. Difference was the water. East end you can count the rocks in 20'

You can catch just as many bt's in the east end gin clear water last two days out of sodus we had 32 bites . Have to change tactics and stay away from boats . Biggest problem you catch a fish 6 boats go to that spot . Kills it. Leave and go back to where those boats came from you'll catch another

You can catch just as many bt's in the east end gin clear water last two days out of sodus we had 32 bites . Have to change tactics and stay away from boats . Biggest problem you catch a fish 6 boats go to that spot . Kills it. Leave and go back to where those boats came from you'll catch another

Spot on Ed!!! It has been fun!!! If you put your time in, think outside the box, you will get fish!!!

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In my observation (I fish both ends yearly) it is also all about timing. Generally speaking, early April it is tough to beat the east end and mid basin brown Fishing. As soon as you get to late April until late may, the far west end is just awesome for kings, coho, lakers. In June and July, its a crap shoot- I've seen the west and east end have the bulk of the fish, depending on the predominant wind direction. By August and September, the east end really takes over.

I've moved my boat from Sodus to the oak several times in July- some years, that is a great move... some years it isn't.

The general down trend in brown fishing has really hurt the east end. This year has seemed about average to me? Some really good days, some tough days...

Actually Andy, go east of the plant and it is gin clear.... where you are fishing has the river plume, but if you get 9 miles or more away it is gin clear. That is why a lot of the Mexico boats were west of the plant yesterday and today.

Capt Rich

Wasn't there a brown trout stocking screw up last spring by the DEC in the east end? I thought I read that they didn't take the browns out far enough and the cormorants had a feast. What did they do about it? Did they restock any or just say "Oh well" That might not bode so well for browns on the east end in the next couple of years.

That was 2 years ago with the sticking issue, that is the reason for no cookie cutters this year. No they did nothing to replace those fish we lost for the east end.

Capt Rich

Some of you guys need to change tactics or reassess your program. There are a lot of Browns being caught on the east end of the lake. Pay close attention to detail!

9 minutes ago, MikeyP said:

Some of you guys need to change tactics or reassess your program. There are a lot of Browns being caught on the east end of the lake. Pay close attention to detail!

You nailed it MikeyP

When I think east end I am thinking anything NE of Fair Haven. The fish in the NE end of the lake definitely make you work for them. I would go days with only one or 2 kings but as soon as I go out of Sodus I am greeted with awesome numbers of Steelhead, Kings, Browns (not as much as the other 2) but the fishing from Fair haven West is much better. I usually concentrate my efforts on the walleye on the East end, easier for me to find and catch than Trout and Salmon plus they taste better.

Laker fishing isn't bad on the East end but if you like fishing for table fare then I would go elsewhere.

Edited by Chas0218

30 minutes ago, Broadhorizons said:

You nailed it MikeyP

Hey Andy. Here's hoping you have another great fishing season!

Edited by MikeyP

On 4/29/2017 at 6:04 AM, TileMan Dan said:

West end definitely has better fishing early in year. East end has water that is just too damn clean. Always caught fish on east side but worked my ass off to get them. Took a charter with my brothers on Crazy Yankee this April, and we did amazing numbers over 2 days. His tactics were not any different than what I run. Difference was the water. East end you can count the rocks in 20' of water.

You want me to come down to your water and put my program up against yours bro? You sayin' you're on my level? LOL