So...we all know how accurate weather forecasts are(nt) BUT as of now it looks like rain all this coming weekend, how does rain typically effect the spring bite, good bad or indifferent?

Wind doesn't look great Friday or Sunday either but first things first I guess

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rain doesn't bother fish. They're already wet.
The biggest factor limiting success at this time of year will be the big NE winds we can get. East or north east winds will push the kings back into Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The first weekend of the spring LOC does not look good weather wise. This is fairly typical this time of year. If you can pick your days to get out, theres no doulbt the Kings will be there. Watch the weather sites real close is my advise.

Unfortunately, I'm not local so I kinda gotta either make the trip or dont. I watch the weather channel app for precip., iwindsurf for wind and always take a look at NOAA too.

Am I right in guessing that the bar area with 20+ mph east wind is basically not fishable in a 21 foot boat?

I usually fishbthe western basin of Erie so I'm guessing "bad" winds for Niagara area are similar to here...east being worst followed by north?

Unfortunately, I'm not local so I kinda gotta either make the trip or dont. I watch the weather channel app for precip., iwindsurf for wind and always take a look at NOAA too.

Am I right in guessing that the bar area with 20+ mph east wind is basically not fishable in a 21 foot boat?

I usually fishbthe western basin of Erie so I'm guessing "bad" winds for Niagara area are similar to here...east being worst followed by north?

20+ east is not fishable in ANY boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What Paul said. I know from experience trying to fish the Niagara Bar and motoring out of the Niagara towards the red can on a day of northeast wind like that. I could get there in a 24 foot center console, but along the way I determined the troll was not going to happen easily. Turned it back to port.
What I learned that day was a northeast wind blowing against the Niagara flow was amplifying the steepness and frequency of the waves that were already 4 foot! Very unpleasant in that area, and I'm sure the wind was less than 20 mph. South or southwest 20 mph and you would have little trouble in the bar area. Any north wind, east wind in that speed is head to the golf course.

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

Also planning on trying to make it to the bar and get some fishing in this weekend, keeping a close eye on the weather.  

Trailering a 23' wellcraft and staying in Wilson, which launch would you guys use?  I'm assuming water levels are all high and ramps/docks will be tricky.  I was planning on Wilson/Tusc state park, not sure of the current condition though.

Above the Niagara West of Wilson. Go to light in town and turn down the hill to yacht club. Parking is up top .., as you pull up the hill make a left then quick right to park

11 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Trailer up to the free Youngstown launch

Where do you park here?  Not much around. You can't park a truck & trailer on the street all day, correct?

Edited by lineman49

Are the docks above water at Ft Niagara? In the Rochester area they are all under water as the water is at flood stage, Highest since 1952 which was the highest of all time and only 8 " away from alltime record high levels and with another 1" of rain expected Thurs....good luck. Lots of mud too. Conditions are sh**.

The Wilson launch was fine as of Saturday as long as you had some rubber boots, if or when the water rises both docks will be under water. Watching the big blow here on Sunday from back window and I'll tell you I saw some whole trees, docks,55 gallon drums, monster logs all over the place. Slamming around in the waves. The weekend weather is not looking good but if it ends up fishable use caution out there and be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Mikecatt14- I'm local and fish the bar alot. I trailer a 22ft Penyann. If you use Accuweather type in Youngstown NY for location. If you can only come up here for one of the 2 weekends the spring LOC covers, I would definitely make it 2nd weekend. Honestly if they forecast winds over 12mph out of NW,N,NE,or EAST it can be pretty uncomfortable. NE or EAST the fish usually have lockjaw. We will try this weekend but not optimistic.

Mikecatt14- I'm local and fish the bar alot. I trailer a 22ft Penyann. If you use Accuweather type in Youngstown NY for location. If you can only come up here for one of the 2 weekends the spring LOC covers, I would definitely make it 2nd weekend. Honestly if they forecast winds over 12mph out of NW,N,NE,or EAST it can be pretty uncomfortable. NE or EAST the fish usually have lockjaw. We will try this weekend but not optimistic.

Thanks, my plans WERE both weekends but if it's too rough to fish most of the time it's not worth the trip no matter what. Very much appreciate the wind info.

Looking like 20+ NE Friday, 15-20 SW sat, and 15-20 NW sun. All rain. Not looking good, we will see what it looks like Thursday and decide