Chaumont Bay Walleye Advice

Chaumont Bay Walleye Advice

I have a trip planned in two weeks to Chaumont Bay to fish mainly for walleye. I have never fished there so other than looking over navionics maps I really don't know the area at all. Looking for any advice on where/what to fish there. I have a PB walleye of 7lb 1oz (Oneida Lake) and am really hoping to beat it that weekend, as I have heard/read that Chaumont Bay is one of the best (if not the best) big walleye places to fish in NY.I am very familiar with walleye fishing and have the gear to fish for them just about every way there is. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Todd is correct there are Johsons shoal out in the bay and you need to know where it is or you will hit! Jigging for walleye off the deep end of it can be productive though where it drops off to over 25ft quickly. I personally have had better luck out farther past Pillar Point between Reeds bay and Everleigh point trolling with spoons for the eyes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Right now with the high water I doubt you will get anywhere near hitting the shoals. In mid July I can still motor over the shoals no issues usually the shallowest it gets is around 9'. The only place you need to worry about is near the river/chuamont bay boat launch, the SW end of cherry, and Reeds Bay they get skinny fast go out 300 yards around them and you will stay in plenty of water. Stay out towards the Stay towards the SE 1/3 of the channel going into and out of the river and you will be fine.

I was out in the Chaumont bay last night, and unless my eyes are deceiving me, the navigational buoys are not out there yet.  The marker buoys next to the state launch are in though.  The only bouy you really need is the one for Johnson shoal.  Just a heads up.

The weekend marine and weather forecasts don't look very inviting, especially Sunday, 2-4ft, becoming 4-7ft, rain/snow possible all weekend. I'll probably stay home are work around the house and yard :(