Canandaigua and seneca

Ok guys as long as I can get my boat fixed I'd like to learn about fishing Canandaigua and seneca lake for trout. Any tips tactics or any general info anyone is interested in sharing and helping a new guy out. I'd be launching at both the south ends and North ends depending on the day. I'm assuming it's probably pretty similar everywhere right? Find them deep when water warms up and closer this time of year? How is the fishing there are there Lakers to be caught? Haven't seen many reports on either of these lakes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Seneca can be unforgiving at times but it will definitely challenge your skills and make you think more about how and why...

Cayuga fishing is tremendous.

I enjoy canandaigua.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

Seneca can be unforgiving at times but it will definitely challenge your skills and make you think more about how and why...

Cayuga fishing is tremendous.

I enjoy canandaigua.

That's all I've heard about Cayuga just so much closer for me to launch at south end of Canandaigua but plan on fishing Cayuga as much as possible really a great fishery for the very limited experience I have

Seneca will pick up, it's always a late bloomer. Today I had a decent day for hookups but had trouble getting them into the net solo. Next time!

Yea i had that problem on Cayuga yesterday and had 2 in the boat lol. I hope it does I'd like to learn all the fingers.

3 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

It is nice that guys are willing to help. Hopefully someday I will have enough info to help

for sure for sure , meet up with Les a couple times and talk about how to , he is very knowledgeable and grate guy 

Depending on expectations, Seneca and Canandaigua are usually ok....just need to do more searching...and plz throw your catch back in...if you want to keep fish go to Cayuga!! South end of canandagua is good near white rock south to where depth comes up...usually the lakers are on bottom towards the shoreline...bang your balls on the steep drops...bows I catch sporadically all over south end both sides and middle up to cook point....troll some high and some low...stack em up on riggers...green for lakers and various colors for bows...I usually have to cover some ground on canandagua to find bait and fish...seneca, last year south end was fine for me...I actually did the severne area west side mostly...I only fish riggers and stack rods from 40 down to 100 or so depending on time of year with about 20' depth between rods. Move em up and down and start keeping track of your hits and fish...my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This time of year I will run planers for browns but it feels mostly for show...others on here use different methods...if all fails go to Cayuga and try your luck there! I too am on Seneca so it's to tough to trailer all the time when you don't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I like to fish Cayuga a lot but it's a extra hr drive compared to Canandaigua and seneca not to mention wanting to know them all....and I throw everything back unless visibly wounded but will always make my best effort to return to catch another day no matter where I am.

There is nothing wrong with taking home some fish they are good to eat & improves the fishery by allowing younger fish to grow & add to the fishery

I dont have near the time in on seneca as Sk8man but one thing i have learned is have patience with that lake it can drive you crazy in a hurry.  can have great fishing than for no reason another time you cant buy a fish.  for lakers I found green chartreuse and white are the most consistent colors down deep.  Dont be afraid to troll shallow for lakers this time of year especially in the early morning.    for rainbows or LL I find my best luck is the top 70 feet of water again white is a constant producer and UV on sunny days orange is also always out to start some days that is the key.  28 size and equivalent spoons are the most consistent for me.  as for browns good luck I can count my browns on one hand and thats over several years.  

I find that fish can be in very tight areas sometimes there so if you get bit dont be afraid to circle