Water in outboard lower end oil, what to do?

Water in outboard lower end oil, what to do?

As the title says, I found water in my lower end oil.  Did a DIY pressure test at 10-12 lbs and found air and oil being pushed out around the prop shaft seal.  How should I proceed?  Can I just change the seal and go or do I need to pull the whole carrier out?  What are the chances that there is damage in there?  Any advice is welcome including recommendations for a place to take it if I decide to go that route.  

You are going have to do all of the seals on the shaft as a start.  You need to put your location on the post so guys can send you to an appropriate shop.  

It's probably the lower shaft seal, which with a little know how you can do it yourself, need year, make,& and model. Then we can go from there.

First remove prop and look for fishing line around prop, 2nd thing drain it and run it a few times. Check after running to see if it was condensation or water intrusion. If it's water intrusion after running it the will be milky.

I thought I had water getting in my lower unit one season as I didn't drain my oil but instead just checked to make sure there wasn't any water sitting in the bottom and it was caused by condensation.

EDIT: NVM you already figured out it's leaking. I would just pull the prop shaft housing and replace seals and run her check her after a few trips. Worst that happens is you get more water and have to drop the lower unit and replace upper seals too.

Edited by Chas0218

Motor is a 2002 Mercury 150 Saltwater series if that helps.  

Anybody know a good source for the carrier bearing tool cheap?  Or a place to rent one?  Or an easy way to make one?  

Just a follow up, I ordered the service manual and tool to pull the bearing carrier retaining ring.  After calling 4 separate marine service places in the Rochester area (Waterloo was a little farther than I'm hoping to go) I received 1 quote for $119/hour plus parts to pull it and change all the seals and 3 of the places never even returned my phone call.  

So much for service.  

Instead of doing nothing, at least drain the lower unit. Pump it full of new oil. The oil can handle some water for a while. Next fall drain the lower unit to remove any water for possible freeze damage and refill it for next season. Dealers sell a pump with a hose that screws into the lower drain hole and pump new oil in till it flows out of the upper hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

OOH man I thought you were talking kicker, not your big hammer, that's a differant ball game. Get a hold of Hank on here, pm him and see what he says!! He's the king of swing when it comes to stuff like this. If it were a kicker that differant, but your talking big Yankee $$$ if you F'up!!