SLR water level

One neighbor claimed water supposedly wouldn't crest until June possibly, but not sure where that information came from

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Stay home, there's at least 3ft of water you must wade through to get to the dock, they were in Chaumont bay yesterday putting sand bag around the houses where the put that new launch in before the public launch, out by long point that road that lLake'O washes against and the pond on the other. There they had a grader pushing the debrie off the road, everything from logs to trees to tires you name it, that launch was under water. The only launch I saw useable was at isthmus, in that back eddy they made, there's a cut to get through but I didn't know about depth, it's not that wide. Henchens is under water unless your slipped, and Henderson was up to the height of the parking lot. We drove over to the last marinia, that guy fixed my lower unit 2 years ago, we met up with him and he said we could put in there, but his ramp is steep with lawn between the drop off the ramp and my truck. There's no way to hold the boat back as that's on the steep ramp, with 15ft of wet muddy grass between the wheels of the trailer and the wheels of my truck!! Long story short I envisioned the shyten kabutal in the drink:lol: he also said he wouldn't go out now anyway, they rescued 2 boats since the start of eye season. First call they got was a boat had severe hull damage he hit something just under the water, and the water was coming in fast, the second boat had a big branch caught under the boat and also somehow it was lodged between the lower unit and the underside of the boat, the operator raised the lower unit  which tore the steel lines off the cylinders to raise or lower the drive unit, now he doesn't have a way to lower the drive into the water. I would have thought they would have lowered themselves, the guy at the marinia said they are a push pull cylinders? Ok that's a problem. There was a man in a green outfit, that wanted to see the damage on the boat with a hole in the hull, he said it's a 5mph speed zone in the bay till your out past Lime Barrel Shoals. He said to us it's best you just keep the boat on the trailer for a few weeks at the least!! So I did, when we came back to camp the water rose another 3" the water was under the boards on the park bench before we had looked and till we got back the water was over the boards and the bench sits a least 3-4" out of level and the boards were under the water. It freaken bad up there, and there's no way to really understand the situation untill you see it first hand!! I wish you locals the best!! You'll need it:sweating:

Stay home, there's at least 3ft of water you must wade through to get to the dock, they were in Chaumont bay yesterday putting sand bag around the houses where the put that new launch in before the public launch, out by long point that road that lLake'O washes against and the pond on the other. There they had a grader pushing the debrie off the road, everything from logs to trees to tires you name it, that launch was under water. The only launch I saw useable was at isthmus, in that back eddy they made, there's a cut to get through but I didn't know about depth, it's not that wide. Henchens is under water unless your slipped, and Henderson was up to the height of the parking lot. We drove over to the last marinia, that guy fixed my lower unit 2 years ago, we met up with him and he said we could put in there, but his ramp is steep with lawn between the drop off the ramp and my truck. There's no way to hold the boat back as that's on the steep ramp, with 15ft of wet muddy grass between the wheels of the trailer and the wheels of my truck!! Long story short I envisioned the shyten kabutal in the drink[emoji38] he also said he wouldn't go out now anyway, they rescued 2 boats since the start of eye season. First call they got was a boat had severe hull damage he hit something just under the water, and the water was coming in fast, the second boat had a big branch caught under the boat and also somehow it was lodged between the lower unit and the underside of the boat, the operator raised the lower unit  which tore the steel lines off the cylinders to raise or lower the drive unit, now he doesn't have a way to lower the drive into the water. I would have thought they would have lowered themselves, the guy at the marinia said they are a push pull cylinders? Ok that's a problem. There was a man in a green outfit, that wanted to see the damage on the boat with a hole in the hull, he said it's a 5mph speed zone in the bay till your out past Lime Barrel Shoals. He said to us it's best you just keep the boat on the trailer for a few weeks at the least!! So I did, when we came back to camp the water rose another 3" the water was under the boards on the park bench before we had looked and till we got back the water was over the boards and the bench sits a least 3-4" out of level and the boards were under the water. It freaken bad up there, and there's no way to really understand the situation untill you see it first hand!! I wish you locals the best!! You'll need it:sweating:

Thanks I greatly appreciate it , guess I'll be hitting the bay for stripers! , maybe next year

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your absolutely correct, for the opener of eye season it was like Ghost Town at the Glen!! I talked to Trudy, owner of BJ bait shop in Dexter and she said this really hurts our business, just little sales on the must have list, no bait, worms for guys pulling crawler harnesses, in the 3 days we were at camp, there was never more than 2-3 vehicles with trailers parked over there, all smaller boats, like 14-16fterx that can be pulled to shore for the other guys to get in. There was 2 boats tied to poles driven into the ground. Open bow boats could pull up to shore and load their partner. Defiantly no way a cuddy boat could do the same, and no way was I going to back in risk blundering my new 4 blade prop:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Roughrider IV said:

I've been up since Friday, it's come up since I was here 2 weeks ago. Dock is now underwater at our campground. Ramp in CV has about 2 inches over wood docks yesterday.

As far as the St Lawrence goes, I can tell you that the levels around Alex Bay are now down about 6 inches from the peak last week.   Currently we are reading 248.0 over IGLD (that's the International Great Lakes Datum, it's referenced to sea level in Quebec near the mouth of St Lawrence).   The rate of flow at the Massena Dam is cranked up, and the Ottawa River has crested which is all good news for us upstream because we need to unload all this water.    

The variations in water level seem less sensitive now to wind speed and direction, believe me we're watching it daily as our cottage is inches from the doomsday scenario.   As others have mentioned, debris is a serious issue, watch your wakes and remember the river is still only 50 degrees even if the air feels 80.   In other news, I talked to a fisheries biologist today who said the spawning this spring for almost all species will likely be the strongest on record, from baitfish to muskies.

Let's hope the worst is over. I agree that the positive spin on the high water is the possibility of a great spawn for many species, particularly the northern pike which have dwindle significantly in the last 40 years.
I also warn people of much debris floating in both the lake and the river. Some big stuff that could do significant damage to a boat. Go slow and don't throw a wake!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, Prof T said:

I'm down the channel past the bridge and there is no shortage of debris being swept downriver. Pulled a 4 x 8 x 16' timber out this morning, and stacked some cinder blocks on my catwalk  in case it wants to become buoyant if the levels rise any more.

Advice to anyone on the river....be on the lookout. Many shoals you are used to seeing are submerged and there's no telling what's going to float by.

I was fishing saturday evening on the SLR near clayton.....i noticed 2 ships, headed down river, come to a near full stop just above bartlette point. They held position for 20 min or so then proceeded down river again. I was wondering if the holding pattern was to prevent ships from passing one another in areas of the river that are more sensitive to water displacement due to high water levels?