Holy freaking water Chaumont Bay N.Y.

Wow buddy, that ain't good, not at all, I just watched the weather forecast for the first week of eye season, and it shows a big F'n low stalling over the NE part of the country, settling in right over L'O, not only are most not having a dock to tie to, all the docks floating around in the lake. All in all let's all use our heads out there, be safe, lend a hand if you see someone struggling with their dock or their boat, this could prove to be interesting yet!!

1 hour ago, Todd in NY said:

Here's a local news story from this morning in Chaumont...

http://www.wwnytv.com/story/35300753/worst-flooding-in-2-decades-chaumont-residents-say

Wow that certainly puts things in perspective!! To those that are traveling from a far distance, I've been reading the local pages of the newspapers, this has impacted just about everyone in or near the lake!!, we had major wind damage in our area, but not directly in my area, north and west of me is awakening to a mess if you weren't up all night from wind damage and rain. What the hell is going on in this world?? Sure makes ya wonder!!

They are saying lake levels are going to rise another 6" - 11"!!! Many homes and property are in big trouble!!! I have my neighbor pulling my boat (I live 3 hrs away) out of a boathouse today as it is hitting the roof now. His boat had his windshield crushed last night. Reports are saying the lake is full of debris that has been unreachable by the water for years. Sounds like a terrible mess. 

1 hour ago, Jakob5pennies said:

I find it hard to see the lake rise and fall 2 or 3 feet in such a short time that is a big body of water, crazy pictures be safe out there .

Lake storms and high winds can and will make lake Ontario have storm surges which will make the water change levels like that.

If we have it bad, the conditions on the Canadian shoreline must be even worse with the wind blowing now. No one seems to consider that.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

16 hours ago, jimski2 said:

If we have it bad, the conditions on the Canadian shoreline must be even worse with the wind blowing now. No one seems to consider that.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Very true, It's tough to see all this happening but there isn't much that can be done at this point. I'm hoping this years spawned walleye, pike, pickerl, muskie eggs make it through all this extra water in the tribs otherwise it will be tough fishing a couple years from now. 

23 hours ago, Chas0218 said:

Very true, It's tough to see all this happening but there isn't much that can be done at this point. I'm hoping this years spawned walleye, pike, pickerl, muskie eggs make it through all this extra water in the tribs otherwise it will be tough fishing a couple years from now. 

Walleyes run up into the tributaries to spawn, they may have been impacted by the high water events, but should have had no trouble getting up the streams and been well protected from the nighttime poachers.  Esocids like northerns spawn in flooded shallows, often meadow areas adjacent to wetlands and water bodies.  High water like this should allow the eggs to hatch and the larval fish to get out into the main flows as the water recedes.  It is years when the shallows flood and then recede before the eggs hatch that have a negative impact on Pike.  It does not look like that will be problem this year.