Sealine sg57 for downrigger

Sealine sg57 for downrigger

Was looking to pickup some reels for downrigger use and i can pickup 2 sealine 57 line counters for around 130 dollars. They will hold 330 yards of 30lb mono which  from what i gather is the prefred amount of line on a rigger? They also have a 6.1:1 gear ratio. Is the gear ratio okay for use with downrigger rods? How are the sealines as far as quality. These are new out of box.

That is a great deal but those reels would be better served as long line or lead core reels because of the fast retrieve and large capacity. They will work fine as rigger setups, but you could get away with 27 size reels for riggers.

Tyee is correct. I have two of them as well as the SG47 models and although they could serve as downrigger reels the 57 is a little bulky and heay duty for that application. The smaller reels such asthe 47 nd 27 don't have the high gear ratio high speed retrieve.but most downrigger use doesn't require it. They still have enough line capacity for downrigger use and a decent drag. I use one of my 57's for wire and another for a 300 copper and they are real good for that type of thing as well as for leadcore as mentioned by Tyee. I believe Diawa has discontinued that 57model so maybe if you still wish to have it there might be sale prices some place.

Edited by Sk8man

The 57 works great for a rigger with 30lb test.
I run 2 of them during flea season.
A 47 is perfect for 20lb test and a 27 works for 12-15lb. I like having 300 yards of line, just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just as a point of reference a regular Daiwa 47H will hold 280 yds of 30 lb Sea Flee andd a fluoro leader and although it isn't as fast on the retrieve as the 57SGL3B it has a smaller profile and is very suitable for riggers

A Sealine 47 size reel will hold 280 yds of 20lb test, maybe 180 yds of 30lb

A 300 yd spool of 30lb Sea Flee or 30lb Big Game fits nicely on a 57 with just enough room for a leader and 3 colors of leadcore to make a SWR

From Daiwa.com website:

LINE COUNTER REELS WITH COUNTER BALANCED HANDLE
Model
Number
Action
FW / SW
Bearings Gear Ratio Line Per
Handle Turn
Wt.
(oz.)
Line Capacity
(Lb. Test / Yards)
Drag
Max
SG27LC3B H / L 3BB 4.2:1 24.4" 16.2 MONO: 12/450, 14/30, 20/210
BRAID: 40/300, 50/240
SG47LC3B XH / M 3BB 4.2:1 24.4" 17.5 MONO: 14/480, 20/280, 25/230
BRAID: 40/480, 50/380
LINE COUNTER REELS WITH POWER HANDLE
Model
Number
Action
FW / SW
Bearings Gear Ratio Line Per
Handle Turn
Wt.
(oz.)
Line Capacity
(Lb. Test / Yards)
Drag
Max
SG57LC3B XXH / H 3BB 6.1:1 42.9" 19.6 MONO: 20/580, 25/430, 30/330
BRAID: 40/830, 50/650, 60/550

Like Les, I prefer the smaller size 47 reels and use them on my riggers with 20lb test until the fleas show up then I start using the 57's with 30lb.  I hate fleas!

Just as a point of reference a regular Daiwa 47H will hold 280 yds of 30 lb Sea Flee andd a fluoro leader and although it isn't as fast on the retrieve as the 57SGL3B it has a smaller profile and is very suitable for riggers

I been running a pair of Daiwa 47h on my riggers with 30lb Big Game for years with no issues. The reel capacity is definitely more than the specs say. I have Well over 200yds on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 5/3/2017 at 8:44 PM, mudflat said:

The 57 works great for a rigger with 30lb test.
I run 2 of them during flea season.
A 47 is perfect for 20lb test and a 27 works for 12-15lb. I like having 300 yards of line, just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with mudflat. We use the 57's loaded with flea line or 30lb test when the time arrives. SG 47's other times and SG 27's for browns.

Edited by MikeyP

mudflat-  I wasn't BSing about the 280 yds on a 47H reel I have 8 of them with it (Bloodrun Seaflee 30 lb test) on them. I used the 300 yd. spools and there is about 20 yds or so left over on the spools when finished putting it on the reels. It may not jive with the printed information but it is for real. I'm also not saying that the 47H's are a better solution reelwise just that it is possible to get decent capacity with them. I also have both the SG47LC3Bs and the SG57LC3B's and they have the capability of more line than what is stated in the specs. It may relate to the actual diameter of different brands of line and what they used in theri original calculations etc.

Edited by Sk8man

3 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

mudflat-  I wasn't BSing about the 280 yds on a 47H reel I have 8 of them with it (Bloodrun Seaflee 30 lb test) on them. I used the 300 yd. spools and there is about 20 yds or less left over on the spools when finished putting it on the reels. It may not jive with the printed information but it is for real.

Another case of "can't believe everything you read"...sometimes you gotta actually try something to see if it's really possible. 

I hope you guys running 57s on your riggers have gimbals on your rods and holders. I'd be going crazy repositioning my rods all day as those big reels keep pulling themselves down and out of position, lol.

You're right Tyee:lol: My 47's and 57's only see wire dipsey use and one for a 300 copper and they are great for that.

Edited by Sk8man