I Bay Fri Apr 28

Launched at State launch at I bay around 6:15 am and headed east towards Webster Park.  trolled 8-20 fow with bombers, bay rat and small spoon.  Water temp was 44-46.  Could not find any warmer water.  Only managed 1 steelie (3-4 lbs) on orange bomber just east of Webster park pier.  Went back into I bay around 10am and and fished west side of bay north of the I Bay bridge and caught 1 brown (3-4 lbs) and 1 bass?? (silver bass?  looked like a stripper).  Called it a day around 11:30.

Update, 04May2017:  I posted a photo of the fish.

IMG_4955.JPG

Edited by MrKato
attached photo

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:14 PM, devoknevo said:

Prob a White Perch or a White bass. There are No silver bass in NY.

30 or more years ago, silver bass was the name that most fishers around here used for White Perch.  The bay and the Greece Ponds used to be loaded with them, but as the water has cleaned up, other fish are competing with them more successfully, so they are not as dominant. 

47 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

30 or more years ago, silver bass was the name that most fishers around here used for White Perch.  The bay and the Greece Ponds used to be loaded with them, but as the water has cleaned up, other fish are competing with them more successfully, so they are not as dominant. 

They've been calling them both "silver bass" forever,the point is, there is no such thing.

They're  White Perch or White Bass. Lake O has both and the Bay is loaded with them.

Edited by devoknevo

True dat.

There is also no such thing as a Sheepshead ( Freshwater Drum) or a Calico or Strawberry Bass (Crappie) and in Maine a Lake Trout is a Togue.  Don't pass up the pickerel on the menu in Ontario, that is what they call walleye.  A lot of local names for fish, if there is a point maybe just stick to the latin.  

My sense of I Bay is that they go through cycles, and there are a lot now, but a few years ago, the catch was mostly yellow perch.