This is for all the toothy predators

Chas0218

This is for all the toothy predators

Anyone feel like all this extra run off is going to impact the future of the toothy predators? I hope the spawned eggs make it through this run off but it's not looking good for the future of these species.

The way it was explained to me...higher water is good thing although it's at extreme right now. Northerns and musky will go into swamps that have been dry in recent years ..spawn and head back to lake. Water will recede to point that predators will not be able to get into swamp.. pike and musky fry will have a year to grow before going into lake. This bodes well for future if they stay with " The plan".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

12 minutes ago, longtimefisherman said:

Northerns and musky will go into swamps that have been dry in recent years ..spawn and head back to lake

What if the water goes down to the point that the spawning area dries up to the point it can not sustain pike and muskie fry that are stuck there?  That sounds possible this year, as well as the water receeding.  I am really interested to see how this season shapes up.  Some say to skip the bays, and just head to the deep water haunts.  Some say it will be hotter fishing in the bays with all the water to play around in.  Going to be interesting.  One thing is for sure, be careful of the floating and partially submerged crap out there.  It is astounding the amount of stuff that has flushed out of the rivers, and floated off the beaches and is just bobbing around out there.  Logs, whole trees, tires, docks, picnic tables, etc.  

4 minutes ago, guffins fisherman said:

What if the water goes down to the point that the spawning area dries up to the point it can not sustain pike and muskie fry that are stuck there?  That sounds possible this year, as well as the water receeding.  I am really interested to see how this season shapes up.  Some say to skip the bays, and just head to the deep water haunts.  Some say it will be hotter fishing in the bays with all the water to play around in.  Going to be interesting.  One thing is for sure, be careful of the floating and partially submerged crap out there.  It is astounding the amount of stuff that has flushed out of the rivers, and floated off the beaches and is just bobbing around out there.  Logs, whole trees, tires, docks, picnic tables, etc.  

This was more my thought of the high water levels

Hell yea the water can drop as fast as it rose, the mud and silt will settle on the eggs and smother them. I heard they want it to raise another 10" before starts to settle in and or start to reside, so it's anyone's guess. Let's just hope for the better, and go from there!!

I don't know about floating structures :lol:, but I can't imagine hooking in to a picnic table or a tire, let alone someone's entire dock?? Could prove to be interesting to say the least,     

I believe the high water will help the pike spawn as they will be able to get up into the cattail marshes where they often spawn. These marshes have gradually filled in and do not allow access for spawning. That was one reason for the 2014 plan. This high water is due to excessive rain this spring but should have a beneficial effect. I believe the eggs will be hatched by the time water drops significantly and after that the fry can move with lower water levels.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United