Wilson solo trip

Had a meeting in Buffalo that ended early so at 330 headed out of Wilson solo. Lake was flat got outside 2nd midline and set riggers down 70 over 75 ft and One flat line with bay rat coho crusher.  Within 35 minutes had my limit of salmon 2 kings off riggers, 1 coho. Fished till 730 ended up 8/11 3 kings, 3 coho, 2 lakers. What a great afternoon. The amount of fish on the graph was just stupid. Also I seen lots of salmon surfacing, highlight of the trip was a 12 or so pound king that took a surface line and came out of the water no less then five times.  Can't wait for next week. 

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

Great report. Curious did you launch at Wilson Tuscarora or do you have a slip in the harbor?? Keep hearing horror stories about all sorts of problems caused by this rainy spring.

Slip by boathouse. Everything looks fine from what I saw. It's high but they have nice floating docks. 

When I get those crazy graphs in the spring, I turn the sensitivity down to weed out the small signals. I think a lot of what you are seeing is the result of the mud in the water, warm water species like adult gizzard shad, whitefish species, sheephead etc. I have spent a lot of time "not catching" over those mesmerizing graphs. 

Think about how your graph picks up the thermocline in the summer. It is measuring the subtle difference in water density. The same thing is most likely happening with the mud water and green water throwing off different density values. 

Edited by Gill-T

When I get those crazy graphs in the spring, I turn the sensitivity down to weed out the small signals. I think a lot of what you are seeing is the result of the mud in the water, warm water species like adult gizzard shad, whitefish species, sheephead etc. I have spent a lot of time "not catching" over those mesmerizing graphs. 

Think about how your graph picks up the thermocline in the summer. It is measuring the subtle difference in water density. The same thing is most likely happening with the mud water and green water throwing off different density values. 

Did you see the Canadian tagging study about kings? They spend a whole lot of time up there...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, rdebadts said:

Did you see the Canadian tagging study about kings? They spend a whole lot of time up there...

I gathered the same from the study. The average temp they played in was like 55 degrees I believe. I cant remember if there was an age breakdown because I usually look for 48 degrees during summer when chasing bigs.  I haven't studied if the temp was averaged over a season. If so ... the data may be misleading as the annual movement of kings into the niagara flow during spring will have them in 50 degree water all May. I need to look at the study 

When you run through those crazy graphs your rigger rods should be pinging like they do when you go thru bait right? But they don't. Turn your gain down a little and watch that false picture disappear. 

My graph was only like that for a few short period of time and when it looked like that there was coho surfacing all over. My sensitivity is set I believe at a 7/10. I took this pic shortly before so I could share my location.  

IMG_0117.JPG

I gathered the same from the study. The average temp they played in was like 55 degrees I believe. I cant remember if there was an age breakdown because I usually look for 48 degrees during summer when chasing bigs.  I haven't studied if the temp was averaged over a season. If so ... the data may be misleading as the annual movement of kings into the niagara flow during spring will have them in 50 degree water all May. I need to look at the study 

It was from June to August, and they spent WAAAY more time in 60+ degree water than i would have ever guessed. their average depth was like 55 feet. It challenged a lot of what I "know" about salmon.

I wonder if having a float hanging from their back kept them higher in the water column.  I picture three and the rare 4 year old kings with their big bodies, resting on the denser 38 degree water mattress when they go inactive with the smaller bodied 1 and 2 year old kings resting on the thermocline.  This study may change that.  The Lake Huron study had transmitters within the body cavity and showed much deeper average depth.....like 120' deep.

Maybe when on they feed at night they stay in that temp where the bait is and they don't drop deep. During the day they may fluctuate deep to shallow and back.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Read this.

http://www.fishchallenger.com/Docs/THELASTFRONTIER.pdf

The interesting thing about this study is the night time position of kings at 50' down is similar to what I have witnessed on Ontario.  Something magical about the 50' mark.  When I had my boat slipped at Youngstown, I would stay out and try fish in the dark off the Niagara drop-off.  As soon as it got dark, shaker kings would line up nose to tail on the graph 50' down.  This phenomenon would play out over and over.

Edited by Gill-T

I have always discounted the high marks early in the am as eels or sheepshead or some other undesirable... now I am keenly interested... I guess it just was shocking to see how high and "out of temp" they will get...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Maybe when on they feed at night they stay in that temp where the bait is and they don't drop deep. During the day they may fluctuate deep to shallow and back.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

"Hey...if you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world... Charlie Rich  (The Silver Fox) Sorry...couldn't resist. Been holding this in for a long time. Lmao.