Sodus Bay question

Sodus Bay question

Hi everyone,

I just rented a house for Memorial Day weekend on Sodus Bay. I've never been there before. I'm taking my 18' Center Console with me. I live in Jersey so I'll be taking quite the ride to get there. If anyone has any tips for me I'd really appreciate it. I'll probably be targeting Mixed bag of trout and maybe some walleye. Also, if anyone has some favorite restaurants or bars in the area that would be appreciated to. Any additional information would be welcome.  

Thanks in advance

West of the Harbor has always been productive for browns. Not sure about walleyes. My favorite two restaurants are
#1 Bay Street.
#2 Captain Jacks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

10 minutes ago, hooknup said:

West of the Harbor has always been productive for browns. Not sure about walleyes. My favorite two restaurants are
#1 Bay Street.
#2 Captain Jacks

Thanks for the info. What's the depth I should target? What about water temp? Also, any specific rigs you like over others? I never really done this type of fishing. 

You from Jersey, what exit ?   End of May, you'll need to be down deeper with riggers,dipseys perhaps, for trout species depending on weather dictates what level they are at.  Generally 48 for lakers, 50-54 for trout/salmon, follow bait pods.  Walleye - no clue around Sodus, find deeper bays like Chaumet but thats a hike.  

Run shallow (10 to 30ft) early stick baits off boards if u have them and spoons down 5 to 15ft on riggers if u have them depending on how deep u are. Move out deeper as the sun comes up will need right gear to get u to the fish in deeper water.

Water temps for Browns should be looking for warm pockets breaks ard 50 to 55 if u can. Hard sometimes. Even the slightest degree break thu from the cold water will hold Browns.

Is anyone paying attention to what is going on ?  Greig St is officially closed today to all traffic except residents. Mayor executive order punishable with fines.  Arney's is pumping furiously to keep water out of the main building. Crescent Beach has been breached in a big way and there is more than a no wake directive in the bay. The sewer system is on life support at this time. Water levels are not going to begin there drop till June with expected normal levels possibly in mid August.

CHfisher17, check "Save our Sodus" (SOS) on face book for details and reports along with Sodus Bay Government site. I'm not saying you will not have a place to stay Memorial weekend....but I doubt it at this point. Water levels are controlled by the IJC under a new plan named 2014. Another good place for info is the  Lake Ontario Riparian Alliance .

Len

5 minutes ago, len972ky said:

Is anyone paying attention to what is going on ?  Greig St is officially closed today to all traffic except residents. Mayor executive order punishable with fines.  Arney's is pumping furiously to keep water out of the main building. Crescent Beach has been breached in a big way and there is more than a no wake directive in the bay. The sewer system is on life support at this time. Water levels are not going to begin there drop till June with expected normal levels possibly in mid August.

CHfisher17, check "Save our Sodus" (SOS) on face book for details and reports along with Sodus Bay Government site. I'm not saying you will not have a place to stay Memorial weekend....but I doubt it at this point. Water levels are controlled by the IJC under a new plan named 2014. Another good place for info is the  Lake Ontario Riparian Alliance .

Len

Wow I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up. That's nuts. 

CH, The fishing and the town are wonderful with great restaurants and great people. Keep an eye on the situation because you will not have a better time anywhere if you like Salmon fishing. with that said catching fish on Lake O is technical and requires experience. The easiest time of year is mid August to mid September. If things ease and you decide to go in May I strongly advise getting a one day charter with someone like Fishin Magician (Ryan Williamson) or ReelTime Charters (Lee ) especially Lee ( he's not as busy because he is not full time) and explain you want to learn as much as you want to catch. Patterns, speed and current activity. if you can book him your first day you will have time to implement tactics the rest of your vacation. If you go blind on the big lake looking for steelies and browns and kings, you will be disgusted. With a little upfront guidance you might find a life long love of the big lake. There are very few captains I would not recommend. Warrens bait and tackle run a boat also and they do a good job. Ask for Troy or his wife Dawn and they will treat you right.

Len

You won't. Stop in Warrens Bait (Sodus Point Bait & Tackle). May should be Brown time but with this situation only God knows. they'll give you speed and spoon/plug selections. do not be afraid to ask how they are being rigged i.e. clean, with flashers etc., and where.  I spend a month to two months there each year. right now I have a knot in my stomach over what's happening. This piece of heaven is under assault. debris in the lake will be considerable. Use Extra caution trolling.

Len

3 minutes ago, len972ky said:

You won't. Stop in Warrens Bait (Sodus Point Bait & Tackle). May should be Brown time but with this situation only God knows. they'll give you speed and spoon/plug selections. do not be afraid to ask how they are being rigged i.e. clean, with flashers etc., and where.  I spend a month to two months there each year. right now I have a knot in my stomach over what's happening. This piece of heaven is under assault. debris in the lake will be considerable. Use Extra caution trolling.

Len

Thank you. I contact he owner of the home I im renting to make sure his dock is still available thanks to your info. He said he'll get back to me after checking. 

As far as trolling goes, what's the knot range you like to stick to? 

on average I would say 1.5 MPH for Browns but check with Dawn at the bait shop. It depends on what you are pulling. I spend little time fishing for them since most of my time there is July, August and September. if you search online you will find a wealth of info. here's a start and remember Maxwell's creek.

http://www.lakeontariooutdoors.com/stories/news-story/spring-brown-trout-a-lake-ontario-staple/

http://www.jimhirt.com/?p=335

Len

1 minute ago, len972ky said:

CHfisher17,

I must be getting old. For the life of me I could not remember where to send you for the best information. here it is http://blog.fishdoctorcharters.com/ go to captain Ernie's Blog. There's an encyclopedia of great info going back Years.

You've been a great resource. I appreciate all of the input. Can't wait to try my luck! 

I would not be going 1.5mph for Browns. 2.5mph give ur take depending on weather and conditions.

10 minutes ago, Ryno23 said:

I would not be going 1.5mph for Browns. 2.5mph give ur take depending on weather and conditions.

Well considering the slowest I can go without stalling out on my 2-stroke is just under 3 mph, I hope you're right. 

Well you need to get some trolling bags than. Or get some 5 gallon buckets and put some holes in them to throw off the side to slow u down cause u aren't catching much going 3 plus.

2 minutes ago, Ryno23 said:

Well you need to get some trolling bags than. Or get some 5 gallon buckets and put some holes in them to throw off the side to slow u down cause u aren't catching much going 3 plus.

It goes just under 3 mph. However, I'm currently in the process of fixing an older 9.9 I had laying around. If I can get that hooked up before the trip I should be good to go. Sounds like somewhere between 1.5-2.5 is the target speed. 

CHFisher17

I would not argue with any of the above comments, 1.5, 2.5, even 3. It depends on what your pulling and where your pulling them. if you are in real shallow water and running stick baits you need to be slow to get the action and depth you want. If you are pulling spoons you may need to speed up to keep from hanging up on the bottom. Spoons can give you a better range of speeds. Close to shore is rocky where as deeper is a traditional sand bottom. Bouncing off the bottom in sand is not a bad thing especially if Lakers are in tight. There are so many variables to consider that getting current local information will shorten the learning curve. You have a limited period of time to find the "sweet spot" that I recommend talking to the locals at the time.

Your going up in three weeks? water is still rising. Docks were put in under the old 58DD with a high above sea level at 247.3. Under plan 2014 it's quite higher and the triggers to release are set in stone as to date and heights. Unless and emergency order is enacted immediately there will be no dock access Memorial Day, I hope and pray I'm wrong but...  

13 minutes ago, len972ky said:

CHFisher17

I would not argue with any of the above comments, 1.5, 2.5, even 3. It depends on what your pulling and where your pulling them. if you are in real shallow water and running stick baits you need to be slow to get the action and depth you want. If you are pulling spoons you may need to speed up to keep from hanging up on the bottom. Spoons can give you a better range of speeds. Close to shore is rocky where as deeper is a traditional sand bottom. Bouncing off the bottom in sand is not a bad thing especially if Lakers are in tight. There are so many variables to consider that getting current local information will shorten the learning curve. You have a limited period of time to find the "sweet spot" that I recommend talking to the locals at the time.

Your going up in three weeks? water is still rising. Docks were put in under the old 58DD with a high above sea level at 247.3. Under plan 2014 it's quite higher and the triggers to release are set in stone as to date and heights. Unless and emergency order is enacted immediately there will be no dock access Memorial Day, I hope and pray I'm wrong but...  

Are you saying that the entire Sodus Bay is flooded? I tried to do some research and I notice that the point is flooded and the areas surrounding it but I cant find much information about other parts of the bay. The home I rented for Memorial Day is in Sterling. Is that area of the bay flooded as well?

18 minutes ago, len972ky said:

CHFisher17

Just realized that there is a Little Sodus Bay and a Sodus Bay. I'll be staying in Little Sodus Bay. Does all the information still apply?

Ch,

The whole lake is flooded along with the St Lawrence. Montreal is under emergency management conditions . Sodus Point falls in what is called the South Shore which includes Buffalo to the St Lawrence seaway. Sterling is 45 minutes from Sodus Point and Sodus Bay (east).  you are probably on Little Sodus which is Fair Haven....which is beginning to flood also. Fair Haven is higher than Sodus Bay area. 248.9 vs 247.3 flood stage. Sterling is not on Sodus Bay. I hope that helps.

Len