Asian Carp Concern

I read years ago that they already had electric barriers in Chicago. And that still isn't 100% full proof as far as preventing them from entering the lakes. As someone else noted on here ,what's to prevent birds etc. from picking up they frys .eggs and depositing them in Lake Michigan . Its going to be a losing battle unless  Erie freezing over stops them ,not sure if they have done any studies on how they survive in cold waters. Trump could fund and pass every EPA regulation for them and it still wont stop the inevitable IMHO.

Unfortunatly I think you could be right Bob.....it is a complicated problem

Edited by Sk8man

I was suprised to read they used to allow several million pounds per year of LIVE carp to be imported to the Toronto fish markets, this was banned in 2004. Just ridiculous that it took that long for a ban to be put in place, I'm sure there is still a black market going on importing these fish.

These are supposed to be very good to eat, not at all like "regular" Carp.

It would be great if a high demand  market for them could be created, and set the commercial boys loose on them. They would have them rounded up in a year..

4 hours ago, bulletbob said:

These are supposed to be very good to eat, not at all like "regular" Carp.

It would be great if a high demand  market for them could be created, and set the commercial boys loose on them. They would have them rounded up in a year..

As long as it was in the Mississippi river. You set the commercials boys loose on any of the Great Lakes and they will just about wipe out everything with gill netting. I think the Canadians [ that are grandfathered in, no new licenses are issued I believe ] are still allowed to do it for Walleye on Lake Erie. Sure wouldn't want them on O taking a ton of incidental Kings etc. It will be a mess once the Carp hit the Lakes ,unfortunately., 

Eastern basin on the Canadian side has commercial fishing for walleye and perch. Harvest of walleye is around 20,000 pounds per year, that doesn't include the additional harvest by native spearing and netting.

Edited by ut_falcon

10 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

As long as it was in the Mississippi river. You set the commercials boys loose on any of the Great Lakes and they will just about wipe out everything with gill netting. I think the Canadians [ that are grandfathered in, no new licenses are issued I believe ] are still allowed to do it for Walleye on Lake Erie. Sure wouldn't want them on O taking a ton of incidental Kings etc. It will be a mess once the Carp hit the Lakes ,unfortunately., 

I understand your concern of course.. The catch would have to be regulated .. tightly.. NO "bycatch".
 These fish seem pretty easy to get on top and  jumping .. I have seen videos of commercial guys loading boats up to the gunnels with them, and nothing else..   there are small regional markets for them.. What would be very helpful is a serious "demand" market where every one caught would have ready buyers at a good price.

The commercials would find a way to get LOTS of them out of the water and  into the boats, IF they could turn a buck on them...We'll see.. meanwhile, I hope they NEVER make it into the big lakes.. If so, they will be into the Fingers and way beyond in  no time, and I am not sure   we will have any kind of decent  sport fishery again....bob

46 minutes ago, bulletbob said:

I understand your concern of course.. The catch would have to be regulated .. tightly.. NO "bycatch".
 These fish seem pretty easy to get on top and  jumping .. I have seen videos of commercial guys loading boats up to the gunnels with them, and nothing else..   there are small regional markets for them.. What would be very helpful is a serious "demand" market where every one caught would have ready buyers at a good price.

The commercials would find a way to get LOTS of them out of the water and  into the boats, IF they could turn a buck on them...We'll see.. meanwhile, I hope they NEVER make it into the big lakes.. If so, they will be into the Fingers and way beyond in  no time, and I am not sure   we will have any kind of decent  sport fishery again....bob

I demand they give me some to put on my garden, they make great fertilizer.

I think maybe a main point is being missed here. The Asian Carp can wipe out the entire lower levels of the food chain that other species depend on for theeir existence.