Worst lake Debris

Worst lake Debris

What is the biggest, most dangerous, hazardous thing you have seen washed out into the lakes during spring fishing?  Mine had to be an iceberg with a whole tree protruding through it about 3 years ago when Lake Erie completely froze over.  When that thing went by me I couldn't believe I actually launched the boat.

A couple springs ago off the Niagara Bar with my son. Trolled three downriggers and had my attention to the rear and son was driving. We ran over a submerged giant log that was down about 6 feet below the surface. Of course all the rigger cables caught it and drew it deeper. So the boat finally stops, the riggers are on the way up. Should have reversed first, but the cables had sawn into the soft wood and imbedded. The log came up, lodged itself in between the outboard and hull, cables still imbedded. What a mess, had to use the boat hook to dislodge the cables. The motor was almost useless but after dropping the cables, the tree finally dislodged and we reversed and it came off the cables.
That was the end of our 5 minutes of trolling, went back home.

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

In the past two weeks i have seen a telephone pole, 3 railroad ties (still attached to each other), picnic table, an entire 25' tree, 3- 55 gallon plastic drums, and a 20' wooden dock. Thats just the good stuff!

Made a run to Olcott from Rochester yesterday on a buddy's boat and we saw our share of debris. The one nice thing was the gulls, terns,ducks and cormorants spotting some of the crap that was floating low in the water by sitting on it. Some were even mistaken for small, open boats from a distance. At least cormorants are good for something. NOT!

A couple springs ago off the Niagara Bar with my son. Trolled three downriggers and had my attention to the rear and son was driving. We ran over a submerged giant log that was down about 6 feet below the surface. Of course all the rigger cables caught it and drew it deeper. So the boat finally stops, the riggers are on the way up. Should have reversed first, but the cables had sawn into the soft wood and imbedded. The log came up, lodged itself in between the outboard and hull, cables still imbedded. What a mess, had to use the boat hook to dislodge the cables. The motor was almost useless but after dropping the cables, the tree finally dislodged and we reversed and it came off the cables.
That was the end of our 5 minutes of trolling, went

You win

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app