how did the pen projects turn out?

how did the pen projects turn out?

I was curious to hear about the success of the 2017 pen projects? I had heard due to the conditions this spring that some ports were unable to host and that others faced abnormally high number of fish dying in the pens. Any updates would be greatly appreciated as I am wayyy out of the loop.

Edited by LazyRiver585
mispelling

I can only speak to the Fair Haven project. 

Our fish arrived on April 14 and have done very well.  How well?? Scott Prindle will be up to do the official check up by Monday morning and then it will be a bit after that before he has all of the data graphed out. 

From what the guys who have been taking care of the fish have said; "the fish are doing very well".  I got to see them a couple of times amid rushing to and from camp and they looked great.  We experienced very low mortality.  We have also had a lot of community and fishermen using the gumball machines that were put in place this year as well. 

Fair haven does not have the temperature problems that most tributary projects face due to the "deep sink" effect.

Hope that other projects have fared as well.

A big thanks to everyone involved.

I have been told that Rochester could not get the fish early enough for the imprinting to occur, so the pens were pulled and the fish were/are being direct stocked to the river.  This is  a shame considering the hard work of the Genesee Charter guys.  I have also heard the same for Sandy Creek but only as scuttlebutt, while I saw an e-mail from Dream Catcher about the Genesee Pens.

We got our fish at Sandy but due to water temps, we held them for six days. Fish deliveries on the West end were way too late. The oak direct stocked just like the Genny.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I will say it.........so we were told we would get a reduction of stockers per location because pen fish have better survival rates to adulthood, and then most of the plants we were offered don't actually make it to the pens as planned? WOW.:shake:

Ok I will touch it. The ineptitude of the hatchery and whoever is involved is unbelievable. Communication problems across the board. Someone's head should roll after this year's ef up in half the ports. Word has it, theirs a video of a Dec truck in Olcott stocking the salmon in the lake and the waves were pushing them up on the beach. Beautiful. I sure hope we get more kings stocked next year after what we're hearing about all the bait in the lake and the screw ups of some of the pen projects.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

19 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

We got our fish at Sandy but due to water temps, we held them for six days. Fish deliveries on the West end were way too late. The oak direct stocked just like the Genny.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for correcting me.