What kicker to get and where

What kicker to get and where

Putting a kicker on my Penn Yan Avenger.  About 24', with a 9.6' beam.  Unladen weight about 4300 lbs as I read the brochure or there abouts as I recall.  Looking for power trim/tilt, and separate binnacle mounted behind main engine binnacle.  Any thoughts or suggestions.  Would like to complete this asap so fire away.  thanks

What's the difference between a Pro Kicker and just a regular 9,9 long shaft Mercury kicker?  Also is a high thrust kicker motor just a kicker with a larger prop on it?  thanks

The basic difference between outboards designed to push small light boats at high speed and big heavy boats at slow speeds is the gear ratio. A lower gear ratio (higher numerical number : 1) allows the engine to run in the proper rpm power band to spin larger diameter and lower pitch props that work better at pushing heavy loads than high speed props. Adding a high output alternator and remote controls used to be what separated a high thrust outboard from a trolling outboard. Nowadays, the mfg all seem to put higher output alternators on their high thrust outboards so today the differences between them and something like a pro-kicker is less than in the past.

The last time I looked the high thrust Honda 9.9 had the highest charging rate among the class of outboards. For some people with a lot of electronics this might be more important than the lowest gear case ratio. For someone with light to moderate charging requirements, a lower gear ratio might make more sense.

Finally, electronic incremental speed control through rpm adjustment can be very desirable. There are some aftermarket options that may not be available for all brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a Yamaha T9.9 XPA on a 27 Sportcraft and it works well. Will push at 5 mph top speed. It is about 5 years old, no problems at all. If I were looking today I would consider Suzuki as they have a fuel injected T9.9. Would rather avoid carburetors now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To me, EFI on the Suzuki isn't a compelling reason to choose it over other brands unless I had a lighter aluminum boat and I didn't fish in more than moderate winds. The gear case ratio of the Suzuki is only 2.08:1. They call it a high thrust, but It seems more marketing hype than reality. The prop they mount is clearly an all purpose prop designed to serve a broad range of uses. Will it troll a boat? Sure, but not as well as some other options in the market. I'd consider this as a light-duty trolling option.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Minimum 9.9hp maybe even a 15hp. Can't go wrong with the Tohatsu motors same as the mercs for a lot less money. Yamaha I think makes their own kicker either way, I would be looking into a 9.9 at the smallest.

I bought a 9.8 Tohatsu from Shorts marine in Delaware through Ebay a few years back and I've been very happy with it, plus the deal was clean and easy. Here is something like what you might be looking at -- I am a believer in the extra long shaft to keep the prop in the water even in the biggest waves.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Tohatsu-9-8Hp-Electric-Start-4-S-Outboard-Motor-Tiller-25-Shaft-Power-Trim-/311748159125?hash=item4895a36695:g:QrsAAOSw-0xYOFA~&vxp=mtr

The dealers give real attention to their purchase customers. Other owners get attention at the end of the day. Be wary of out of town dealers who suck you in with the factory type service stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well this is like pulling teeth trying to locate a 15h.p. kicker.  Found a few 9.9's around both new and used.  A local dealer can get a new 15 h.p. for close to 4 grand in 7 weeks, but frankly that is a bit to much money to fund one at least on my end.  Still looking and leaning towards a 9.9 as that seems to be what is available.  Excellent info. too.  Appreciate it.

I have a T9.9 on a Penn Yan 255 Intruder and it does the job in most conditions.  As long as you get a "Hi thrust" motor  I don't think it would make much difference if it is 9.9 or 15 hp.  I would suggest going with a extra long (25") shaft to keep the prop in the water, a long shaft (20") will work but will probably ventilate once in awhile when the waves pick up.

Well went with a 9.9 Pro kicker with a high thrust prop/gearing etc.  Has power trim and tilt and am looking into the elevator type of bracket.  They were on sale at Bass Pro in Auburn.  Having it installed within the next week and a half.  Oh yea the 25" shaft too.  Gonna use an ez steer hookup along with my intellisteer for the main.  Thanks for all the advice.