which finger lake to go to

Hi,

I'm heading up to fish Lake O and the Finger Lakes from Aug.14-20th. I'll be staying in Oswego and would like some advice on which of the Finger Lakes to try for trout and salmon. Last year I tried Owasco and did really well on lakers and also caught a nice rainbow, walleye, and brown. I stopped by Bass Pro before fishing and they all said don't go to Owasco and that the fishing isn't that good there. I was surprised because I thought it was great when you compare it to NH and ME fishing. My question is whether or not there's a much better option to try that's not too far from Oswego(about the same distance that Owasco is)? I know nothing about the other lakes so any advice as to what launches, depths, setups, speeds, and lures to use would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a lake that's good for sizable pike(10lbs plus) at this time of the year in the same general vicinity? You guys have some of the best fishing in the country right in your "backyard" and I look forward to my yearly trip out there with great anticipation.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

Hello Chris: Fish Cayuga , Launch at Meyers Point and head north. Use riggers, just look out for the weeds and flea's. Purple spoons during day, green colors morning and night. You might also want to trail a leadcore line out the back at about 5 colors with a stick bait, try lucky craft american shad, the browns and LL love this plug. This time of year use 3" lures and up, bait fish are growing.

Good Luck,

The Remedy

I'm heading up to fish Lake O and the Finger Lakes from Aug.14-20th. I'll be staying in Oswego and would like some advice on which of the Finger Lakes to try for trout and salmon. Last year I tried Owasco and did really well on lakers and also caught a nice rainbow, walleye, and brown. I stopped by Bass Pro before fishing and they all said don't go to Owasco and that the fishing isn't that good there. I was surprised because I thought it was great when you compare it to NH and ME fishing. My question is whether or not there's a much better option to try that's not too far from Oswego(about the same distance that Owasco is)? I know nothing about the other lakes so any advice as to what launches, depths, setups, speeds, and lures to use would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a lake that's good for sizable pike(10lbs plus) at this time of the year in the same general vicinity? You guys have some of the best fishing in the country right in your "backyard" and I look forward to my yearly trip out there with great anticipation.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks to Rustyrat and The Remedy for all your help. It sounds like Cayuga may be the better alternative to Owasco. What route would I take from Oswego to get to the launch on Meyers Point? Also, what is the average size for trout and salmon on Cayuga? I like to run 8-10lb test of my riggers and leadcore when not on Lake Ontario. Am I asking for trouble if I go this light? Lastly, what size body of water is Cayuga vs. Owasco? I really appreciate all of your input to get me pointed in the right direction.

Chris,

The lake is about 30 miles longer than Owasco and a mile or wider in spots. The fish on average are much larger than what I typicially catch on Owasco. As for the route numbers you need somebody else will have to chime in as I can't remember the numbers. The 8 to 10 lb test line will probably be to light due to the fleas, but last weekend they weren't bad with 30lb.

Splitshot115

:D

Hello Chris: Take 34 B south down from Owasco towards meyers point. It is a nice drive closer to the lake then Rt. 34 is. Don't forget if you want some of those big Cayuga Browns target the bottom structure where it intersects the thermocline, usually 50-80' this time of year. You can bump the bottom with your rigger, set your release up a few feet on the cable so not to snag. Also if you do this keep your drop back of the lure to a minimum(20-30'). This tactic requires lots of work, but may get you the lunker? Also check the weather if the wind is out of the north west be prepared for some rough chop in the lakes middle. Good luck!

The Remedy(when she sails)