steelhead

just put a third Downrigger on the boat was going to run the middle one for some steelhead how far down should I run the ball if looking for steelhead figured some action while out trolling for kings any help appreciated new to going for steelhead

same here.  Ill run sliders or stackers on my deep salmon riggers.  But honestly my opinion is if you run anything up high that is an obnoxious color, the steel will hit.  Shakers as well.

We had success early August last year using red and/or orange spoons on the riggers 20-60' down for Steelhead. 2.8-3.5 mph. We had five days out of Olcott that was originally going to be a Chinook mission but the chromers were so active we switched to just targeting them the last two days.

Edited by Char_Master

Yes red/orange is always the first spoon out and my best producer, then chartreuse but like jigstick said obnoxious and or bright works. 

Edited by Firechief48

Steelhead are always in the top third to half of the water column. They generally like warmer water than king, which is why you catch them on the free sliders.

This time of year, with the water being cold top to bottom, you really need to target the first 15 ft of water.  In July and August we generally find them at 20 to 40 ft.