Brook Trout Fishing

Brook Trout Fishing

Does anybody know any good places to fish for brook trout??? Sorry this isn't really on the topic of Lake Ontario but I've been searching for a long time and can't find anything. If anybody knows anything or any place around Rochester to fish for brook trout then please let me know. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Jackson said:

Thank you so much that helped actually a ton!!

No problem. You can contact the DEC if you have questions about what has been stocked and what hasn't been stocked. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Allen Lake in Allegany County off Rte.19 east of Caneadea, has 5600 small Brook trout stocked last spring. A tough find up gravel roads, on Muckle Road, from West Hill Road. Go for them early as this is a "put and take"  lake because high summer water temperatures will not support the cold water brookies.

Most of the brook trout habitat in Western NY is posted.  Occasionally a wild brookie drops down as far as Powder Mill Park on Irondequoit Creek, and there are a few fish in Spring Brook in Mumford.  Both of those streams predominately support introduced Brown Trout, with the brookies being few and far between.  Many of the tributaries to the Finger Lakes have some brook trout in the headwaters, again few and far between, but if you like hiking to fish, High Tor has some ponds and the headwaters of Naples Creek feeders.  There are a couple of public access points to the upper Cohocton, and knocking on a door for permission might get you some additional access.  For solid fishing to a lot of fish, you need to travel to the Tug Hill Plateau, where the fish are common, if small, or the Adirondacks.  The best fish in the 'dacks are generally found in the ponds, but there is some decent stream fishing especially along the north slope.  DEC Webite for Lewis, Oswego, Oneida,  Herkimer, Hamilton, Essex, and St Lawrence Counties for starters. 

If you really have a thing for catching brookies, Potter County in PA is the best place I know of. They have an extensive wild brook trout fishery all through the mountains. They're tiny little things, 6-8". 2lb line on an ultra light with a small spinner or rapala CD1 works well. It's pretty fun. Most of the streams are artificial only, catch and release. Make sure you check the regs really well.

14 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Allen Lake in Allegany County off Rte.19 east of Caneadea, has 5600 small Brook trout stocked last spring. A tough find up gravel roads, on Muckle Road, from West Hill Road. Go for them early as this is a "put and take"  lake because high summer water temperatures will not support the cold water brookies.

Sounds awesome! I wrote that spot down in my notes for later in case I have time to go. I might just have to try it out.

12 hours ago, MooseKnuckle VI said:

If you really have a thing for catching brookies, Potter County in PA is the best place I know of. They have an extensive wild brook trout fishery all through the mountains. They're tiny little things, 6-8". 2lb line on an ultra light with a small spinner or rapala CD1 works well. It's pretty fun. Most of the streams are artificial only, catch and release. Make sure you check the regs really well.

That's sounds super fun. Someday I'll have to take trip because I'd really like to. I like hiking too, so that'd be a perfect trip in my opinion

12 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Most of the brook trout habitat in Western NY is posted.  Occasionally a wild brookie drops down as far as Powder Mill Park on Irondequoit Creek, and there are a few fish in Spring Brook in Mumford.  Both of those streams predominately support introduced Brown Trout, with the brookies being few and far between.  Many of the tributaries to the Finger Lakes have some brook trout in the headwaters, again few and far between, but if you like hiking to fish, High Tor has some ponds and the headwaters of Naples Creek feeders.  There are a couple of public access points to the upper Cohocton, and knocking on a door for permission might get you some additional access.  For solid fishing to a lot of fish, you need to travel to the Tug Hill Plateau, where the fish are common, if small, or the Adirondacks.  The best fish in the 'dacks are generally found in the ponds, but there is some decent stream fishing especially along the north slope.  DEC Webite for Lewis, Oswego, Oneida,  Herkimer, Hamilton, Essex, and St Lawrence Counties for starters. 

Thank you so much! This will come in handy and I will try some spots out in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

You'll likely never know without trying.  But, again, make sure you knock on some doors, there is not a lot of public land down there, or talk to the ranger in charge for info if you are looking at NYS Forest lands.

Thank you so much

You can find native brookies in several tiny creeks and streams around the countryside. And Lucky13 is absolutely right about asking landowners for permission. One place that is not necessary to ask (have not been there in a while so it might have changed) is Mill creek in Perkinsville. Have stood at the large pool and watched small silvery brookies leaping up the waterfall under the road like salmon, in the fall. There are also browns there. A very large fish in these waters might be 10-12 inches. Most are way smaller. But they are beautiful and tasty too. You might try Flint creek near Potter. It is surprising where these fish still thrive. Mostly people, often children, who live right near these creeks know of the trout there. Don't be afraid to investigate and ask around (bars,local shops,etc.) to find some of these "not a hundred miles away" gems.

Edited by panfisher

5 hours ago, panfisher said:

You can find native brookies in several tiny creeks and streams around the countryside. And Lucky13 is absolutely right about asking landowners for permission. One place that is not necessary to ask (have not been there in a while so it might have changed) is Mill creek in Perkinsville. Have stood at the large pool and watched small silvery brookies leaping up the waterfall under the road like salmon, in the fall. There are also browns there. A very large fish in these waters might be 10-12 inches. Most are way smaller. But they are beautiful and tasty too. You might try Flint creek near Potter. It is surprising where these fish still thrive. Mostly people, often children, who live right near these creeks know of the trout there. Don't be afraid to investigate and ask around (bars,local shops,etc.) to find some of these "not a hundred miles away" gems.

Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Gill-T said:

With the rain we have had the creeks in Allegany State Park should be perfect. 

3 hours ago, Gill-T said:

With the rain we have had the creeks in Allegany State Park should be perfect. 

Ok thanks

• 4 weeks later...