Wire dipsy rigging question

I've tied 40# mono backing on the reel and used a #8 spro swivel (50# strength) to attach mono and wire. The swivel is small enough to run through guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Ended up doing an arbor knot just like my mono reels it was just harder to tie. Then one full wrap of gorilla tape so that didn't spin, hopefully it will be fine the wire bit on the tape the first few passes so it should be I imagine.

First one was a PITA, 2nd rod I ended up tying to a tree and unspooling the new wire, tying to the reel and then reeled it all on under pressure like fighting a fish went on much better

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've tied 40# mono backing on the reel and used a #8 spro swivel (50# strength) to attach mono and wire. The swivel is small enough to run through guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Your in big trouble if that swivel ever gets to your guides! Lol

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Your in big trouble if that swivel ever gets to your guides! Lol

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Please explain

Edited by greenboatluke

Lmao! Good point Fox!!! Thought you might of meant something about the swivel and guides...  I didn't mention that I split an 1000' spool onto two reels, used 40# backing to take up some space, swivel, then 500' of wire. You're totally right about seeing it after 1000' though!!!

100 ft of braid backing, then tie your wire.

Anything that stretches (mono) or is a cushion below the wire (tape) isn't the best.

It will cause the wire to pull tighter on the reel and this will misalign the wire with

the reel guide, which will cause lots of friction and possibly lead to a reel lock up

if a big fish hits.

Braid is generally used so that the reel is 100% full when you spool with 1000 ft of wire,

which makes the line counter more accurate, as it is calibrated to the correct length per revolution at the very top of the spool. As line is fed off the reel, the line counter becomes more inaccurate.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
100 ft of braid backing, then tie your wire.
Anything that stretches (mono) or is a cushion below the wire (tape) isn't the best.
It will cause the wire to pull tighter on the reel and this will misalign the wire with
the reel guide, which will cause lots of friction and possibly lead to a reel lock up
if a big fish hits.

Braid is generally used so that the reel is 100% full when you spool with 1000 ft of wire,
which makes the line counter more accurate, as it is calibrated to the correct length per revolution at the very top of the spool. As line is fed off the reel, the line counter becomes more inaccurate.
Old thread, but just had this happen to me.

Hooked into a big mature, went from 135 ft out to 300 in about what seemed to be 10 or 15 seconds...fish was ripping wire off super fast (second fastest I've seen to date) I had previously cut apx 150ft or so off my 1000' reel due to a tangle. Got to 300 ft out on this fish, and wire snapped at spool [emoji20].

Looked like it was crossing opposite from the line guide creating additional friction, and was enough to break the 30lb 7 strand wire. Spool has mono as backer, wondering if I should cut off all wire and respool from empty with 50lb braid as backer or something like that.

Any thoughts on braid weight? Should I skip and spool instead with fluorocarbon backer?

It was heartbreaking to know there was a giant hooked hard at the end and losing it like that (with my dipsy, flasher, etc too, obviously) - being my fault too.

So if anyone in Olcott/Wilson area hauls up a big one and it's got a bunch of gear toting along, let me know!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

46 minutes ago, Lightbringer said:

Hooked into a big mature, went from 135 ft out to 300 in about what seemed to be 10 or 15 seconds...fish was ripping wire off super fast (second fastest I've seen to date) I had previously cut apx 150ft or so off my 1000' reel due to a tangle. Got to 300 ft out on this fish, and wire snapped at spool emoji20.png.

Looked like it was crossing opposite from the line guide creating additional friction, and was enough to break the 30lb 7 strand wire. Spool has mono as backer, wondering if I should cut off all wire and respool from empty with 50lb braid as backer or something like that.

Any thoughts on braid weight? Should I skip and spool instead with fluorocarbon backer?

It was heartbreaking to know there was a giant hooked hard at the end and losing it like that (with my dipsy, flasher, etc too, obviously) - being my fault too.

So if anyone in Olcott/Wilson area hauls up a big one and it's got a bunch of gear toting along, let me know!

I bet you had a kink in the wire you didn't notice and the added friction of the line coming off opposite of the level-wind was likely enough additional resistance to break it. That issue was most likely due to you cutting off the previous tangle and throwing off the "timing" of the level wind further down the spool. Most ppl are using wire on a 30 size reel which filled with 1000ft of wire requires very minimal backing just to fill the spool completely and keep your linecounter accurate. Some don't even use backing as the counter is fairly close with just the 1000ft of wire on the reel. I would remove the remaining wire and put a new 1000ft spool on the reel and whatever backing you need to fill the reel. You shouldn't ever have a fish get out past 1000ft and into the backing IMO.

I bet you had a kink in the wire you didn't notice and the added friction of the line coming off opposite of the level-wind was likely enough additional resistance to break it. That issue was most likely due to you cutting off the previous tangle and throwing off the "timing" of the level wind further down the spool. Most ppl are using wire on a 30 size reel which filled with 1000ft of wire requires very minimal backing just to fill the spool completely and keep your linecounter accurate. Some don't even use backing as the counter is fairly close with just the 1000ft of wire on the reel. I would remove the remaining wire and put a new 1000ft spool on the reel and whatever backing you need to fill the reel. You shouldn't ever have a fish get out past 1000ft and into the backing IMO.

Yeah it unspooled smoothly and in alignment the first several hundred feet, not sure how but it got off track... we have used it a few times since the tangle. Haven't had that much wire out to date.

Using a Coldwater 453 reel, holds 1k feet with plenty of backing.

I'm going to strip the spool and try again. Maybe ill let an empty dipsy out 800 feet or something and reel it back in with resistance to keep it seated well.

Thought I did that last time, but maybe I went to 500 and stopped and that's where I broke off now? Who knows...

4 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

Hooked into a big mature, went from 135 ft out to 300 in about what seemed to be 10 or 15 seconds...fish was ripping wire off super fast (second fastest I've seen to date) I had previously cut apx 150ft or so off my 1000' reel due to a tangle. Got to 300 ft out on this fish, and wire snapped at spool emoji20.png.

So you have about 550 ft of wire left?  I'd be tempted to spool up at least 300 ft of braid (I generally used 30# braid) ... if you can get 500 ft on there, even better.  You rarely would have more than 250 ft of wire out anyhow, so that should work. It's just that with a big fish, you'll for sure see the backing spool out.

I wonder if you can attach the braid on now ... with the 550 ft of wire still on the real, and just start spooling it on, until the reel is full, then transfer back to another similar reel?  You would then end up with the braid under the wire, and you'd have the max amount of braid you can get on that reel.

So you have about 550 ft of wire left?  I'd be tempted to spool up at least 300 ft of braid (I generally used 30# braid) ... if you can get 500 ft on there, even better.  You rarely would have more than 250 ft of wire out anyhow, so that should work. It's just that with a big fish, you'll for sure see the backing spool out.

I wonder if you can attach the braid on now ... with the 550 ft of wire still on the real, and just start spooling it on, until the reel is full, then transfer back to another similar reel?  You would then end up with the braid under the wire, and you'd have the max amount of braid you can get on that reel.
There is a gap near edges of spool where wire didn't fill well... thinking that contributed to issue also. I am going to spool fresh, and try a 30 or 50lb braid backing so it winds compactly.

i use a mono backing so it doesn't slip, then i tie on 30 braid with a uni to uni knot, then comes my swivel i tie my wire with a haywire twist to the swivel then cover with shrink tubing then tie the braid to the swivel with a improved clinch knot. reel on my wire and tie on another swivel for my leader. the swivels will go through my roller guides but they are a snug fit. the swivels i use is the weak link at 20# test there rated low because they never fail as long bas you don't do something stup^^

Edited by sherman brown
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lightbringer said:

There is a gap near edges of spool where wire didn't fill well... thinking that contributed to issue also. I am going to spool fresh, and try a 30 or 50lb braid backing so it winds compactly.

One thing to note. Once you fresh spool, a lot of clever guys will go out deep on their boats, and let out ALL that line with just a big paddle to create some tension/drag.  If you're deep enough (300'), using only a dipsey is even better, as the paddle can twist the line if the swivel isn't great. Then they real it back in under that tension. You end up with the line seating way better ... because it's a nice constant tension, and can also take your time to make sure it seats from full side to side of spool. It also (with a good swivel) takes out any twist that may have been introduced during the fresh spool.  No doubt, when I look at the before (on fresh spool) and after (let out and reel in) ... you can tell the wire is seated way better. In fact you will notice the wire is more compact and you could have probably added a little more backing!

• Like 2

One thing to note. Once you fresh spool, a lot of clever guys will go out deep on their boats, and let out ALL that line with just a big paddle to create some tension/drag.  If you're deep enough (300'), using only a dipsey is even better, as the paddle can twist the line if the swivel isn't great. Then they real it back in under that tension. You end up with the line seating way better ... because it's a nice constant tension, and can also take your time to make sure it seats from full side to side of spool. It also (with a good swivel) takes out any twist that may have been introduced during the fresh spool.  No doubt, when I look at the before (on fresh spool) and after (let out and reel in) ... you can tell the wire is seated way better. In fact you will notice the wire is more compact and you could have probably added a little more backing!
Yeah I'll do this with an empty small dipsy I think... can't wait for all those fleas!

Should I let out the backing too, or just the wire and leader?

15 minutes ago, Lightbringer said:

Yeah I'll do this with an empty small dipsy I think... can't wait for all those fleas!

Should I let out the backing too, or just the wire and leader?

The backing (braid) is less important, but at that point, you'd have 100 ft to go. I definitely wouldn't risk letting out all the backing, and then something happens to that knot around the spool! LOL ... but yeah, you can dig say 50 ft into the backing, and then start reeling it all back in.  Just make sure you do it at a steady speed so you have a nice even tension on the line always.

when we fish erie for eyes we let out the wire then enough of the braid backing to reach the release on the board. we have let out as much as 50' of braid.
These guys (and gals) are running seven strand for dipsys...we're running single strand for eyes and flatlining...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

On 7/20/2021 at 10:10 PM, Lightbringer said:

i use my thumb to hold the line over to the side of the reel when i'm spooling line. when the line nears the side of the spool i'll take my thumb and hold it to the side until it starts back then i'll switch to the other side and do the same thing. it makes spooling a little slow but the line is even on the reel.

• Like 1