Wire dipsy rigging question

It is important when putting on the 7 strand wire to make sure your line guide on the reel is centered and not to either side when starting to put the wire on. There can sometimes be a problem with the above method of extending manually the coverage with your fingers or thumb across the spool after the line guide finishes. It is going outside the range of coverage of the line guide and because it is at an angle on the spool it can bind up later on when the wire is coming back on the spool within its natural range. The reel repair folks told me long ago to use about 50 to 100 ft of 40 lb  mono on first to help protect the spool  from pressure of the wire, keep the wire evenly nested, and to take up space for the line counter accuracy. I also use a Spro # 8 swivel to connect the mono to the wire without the intention of ever getting to that point with the 1,000 ft of wire as the main line. If that ever became a reality you should be chasing down the fish anyway and should have plenty of time to do it  with the length of more than 3 football fields:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sherman brown said:

when we fish erie for eyes we let out the wire then enough of the braid backing to reach the release on the board. we have let out as much as 50' of braid.

A full spool of wire on our reels is 1000 ft ... you wouldn't do that without asking for a tangle mess, when you fish for salmon.

4 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

A full spool of wire on our reels is 1000 ft ... you wouldn't do that without asking for a tangle mess, when you fish for salmon.

yeah i'm starting to understand salmon fishing with 7 strand wire is a different animal. thanks to you guys for clueing me in.

17 hours ago, sherman brown said:

yeah i'm starting to understand salmon fishing with 7 strand wire is a different animal. thanks to you guys for clueing me in.

Oh, I've made the same mistake lol, when someone was talking wire and didn't clarify it was for Walleye ... I wrote a story about 7 strand ... only to get a simple response ... NOT FOR WALLEYE FISHING! LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

Oh, I've made the same mistake lol, when someone was talking wire and didn't clarify it was for Walleye ... I wrote a story about 7 strand ... only to get a simple response ... NOT FOR WALLEYE FISHING! LOL.

LOL. I LOVE ALL THE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WHO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE. so i just made another one, my caps was left on, LOL.